PDA

View Full Version : Cant pay wont pay on TV - people getting evicted for not paying rent

psychocandy
4th November 2015, 11:02
Am I only one that gets wound at this programme???

People who don't pay the rent, push it as far as they can, then bleat about getting lobbed out onto the street when they get evicted? Not being funny but if I was a tenant and I got a letter saying court proceedings were being started to evict me, I'd be a bit concerned about it and try and get it sorted not sit back and think sod it.

Watched the program last week. Seems a common scam is to get housing benefit from the council and then just never pay it to the landlord. This woman in London was getting £1000 a month or something in housing benefit and then just spending it. Landlord didnt get a penny, was £10K or so out of pocket.

So they kick her out, shes bleating about her kids being on the street, and then shes sticking DKNY bags etc in the car. Its just wrong. Landlord will never see that money.

No-one seems to consider the landlord who loses that money. Could be someone who is relying on that income to pay for both their own property and the rented property. Someone who works hard to do this sort of thing.

But no it all seems to focus on the poor evictee being put out on the streets.

MicrosoftBob
4th November 2015, 11:05
Is that one of those daytime shows for dole scroungers ????

psychocandy
4th November 2015, 11:10

Ha ha. Nope its on in the evening....

MrMarkyMark
4th November 2015, 11:14
Sounds absolutely chavtastic to me :D

I think in his halcyon JSA days, PC preferred Jezza Kyle, for his entertainment :laugh

barrydidit
4th November 2015, 11:15
Best way to deal with this situation:

1. Turn telly off.

:glasses

vetran
4th November 2015, 11:23
this down to the genius idea government funded tenants needed more expertise handling money so they give the tenants the equivalent of a good wage and expect them to pay it to the landlord combine this with the only way to be rehoused in a council house is to be evicted and its a no brainer.

no point paying rent if you are being / looking to be evicted.

and they wondered why "No DSS" was normal on any rental advert. Being paid directly by the council isn't much better, unauthorised delays of 180 days are normal.

DodgyAgent
4th November 2015, 11:32
I heard John Humphries on radio 4 interviewing a woman from a charity that helps the homeless. He tried to turn the situation into a point about homes being left empty (for selfish reasons of owners) whilst people remain homeless implying that inequality was to blame. Far from being a "right on" leftie the woman said that this was not the problem. Even if the homes were available the homeless are effectively too dysfunctional to be trusted to take responsibility for their own living. She said the problems were not about available housing but about the mental state of the people themselves.

Of course the lefties wont like this as they have less stereotype "victims" to wail about .

d000hg
4th November 2015, 11:34
It does happen although it's not the norm - just like the stereotype that most people on benefits are workshy scum.

We've had it happen to us although I think that was actually due to the council not paying the benefits in the first place due to backlogs... the tenant couldn't pay, and eventually left - we never got the money.

There is the counter-argument that relying on income from rent achieved though housing benefit is a Bad Thing though; why should the government be paying benefits to fund your investment? Some people do this quite cynically, buying cheap houses and being terrible lazy landlords on the basis it's essentially 'free money'. I'm strongly opposed to that although I've no idea how you would prevent it without screwing landlords renting to working people.

d000hg
4th November 2015, 11:37
I heard John Humphries on radio 4 interviewing a woman from a charity that helps the homeless. He tried to turn the situation into a point about homes being left empty (for selfish reasons of owners) whilst people remain homeless implying that inequality was to blame. Far from being a "right on" leftie the woman said that this was not the problem. Even if the homes were available the homeless are effectively too dysfunctional to be trusted to take responsibility for their own living. She said the problems were not about available housing but about the mental state of the people themselves.

Of course the lefties wont like this as they have less stereotype "victims" to wail about .So because you heard one person express that opinion, they're right, even if most people argue otherwise?

It's totally true that many people need help and living on the street is going to mess you up to a degree. But that's hardly a blanket argument not to house homeless people. Many would be fine, those who aren't would benefit from home visits and "life coaching" (as in real teaching, not middle-class self-help nonsense). Mentoring is a better word.

MrMarkyMark
4th November 2015, 11:38
Even if the homes were available the homeless are effectively too dysfunctional to be trusted to take responsibility for their own living. She said the problems were not about available housing but about the mental state of the people themselves.

I have read exactly this actually, in a number of books, where people spent a period of time homeless themselves.
They said that some homeless people just did not want to join society and this wasn't always down to lack of a sound mind.

vetran
4th November 2015, 11:39
It does happen although it's not the norm - just like the stereotype that most people on benefits are workshy scum.

We've had it happen to us although I think that was actually due to the council not paying the benefits in the first place due to backlogs... the tenant couldn't pay, and eventually left - we never got the money.

There is the counter-argument that relying on income from rent achieved though housing benefit is a Bad Thing though; why should the government be paying benefits to fund your investment? Some people do this quite cynically, buying cheap houses and being terrible lazy landlords on the basis it's essentially 'free money'. I'm strongly opposed to that although I've no idea how you would prevent it without screwing landlords renting to working people.

Benefits paid direct, price adjusted because they are gauranteed and the property inspected regularly by council.

psychocandy
4th November 2015, 11:44
Sounds absolutely chavtastic to me :D

I think in his halcyon JSA days, PC preferred Jezza Kyle, for his entertainment :laugh

One of the sad drawbacks of working for a living - missing Jezza.

Although I think my JSA days were before your time on this forum mr mm? Am I right?

MrMarkyMark
4th November 2015, 11:47
One of the sad drawbacks of working for a living - missing Jezza.

Although I think my JSA days were before your time on this forum mr mm? Am I right?

Long time lurker bud, from when I started out all that time ago.
Still had the same attitude then as I have now :wink

psychocandy
4th November 2015, 11:53
Long time lurker bud, from when I started out all that time ago.
Still had the same attitude then as I have now :wink

Ah yes I see your start date.

Last time for JSA for me was Nov 2013.

Pondlife
4th November 2015, 12:00

Also factor in that it's included as an option in your sig.

MrMarkyMark
4th November 2015, 12:00

I have been reading the forum for a hell of a lot longer than my start date :wink

BlasterBates
4th November 2015, 12:06
Social Services houses people who are homeless. If you're on the street it's your own choice.

DodgyAgent
4th November 2015, 12:25
So because you heard one person express that opinion, they're right, even if most people argue otherwise?

It's totally true that many people need help and living on the street is going to mess you up to a degree. But that's hardly a blanket argument not to house homeless people. Many would be fine, those who aren't would benefit from home visits and "life coaching" (as in real teaching, not middle-class self-help nonsense). Mentoring is a better word.

That is not the argument I am making

DodgyAgent
4th November 2015, 12:26
The best solution would be re introduce work houses

BrilloPad
4th November 2015, 12:29
The best solution would be re introduce work houses

For agents?

d000hg
4th November 2015, 12:38
Social Services houses people who are homeless. If you're on the street it's your own choice.No that's just what rich right-wingers think... along with "anybody out of work is choosing not to work".

DodgyAgent
4th November 2015, 12:39
For agents?

without the "work" bit - yes :happy

DodgyAgent
4th November 2015, 12:44
[QUOTE=d000hg;2163114]No that's just what rich right-wingers think... along with "anybody out of work is choosing not to work".[/QUO

I think you will find if you get out of your gilded left wing bubble and walked around the working class areas where there is a mix of working and non working people you will find - from the people who actually live with the problems that society faces- that these views are held by working people irrespective of whether they are rich. The problem is the self serving affluent "left"who would not soil their hands to help the less fortunate themselves. They prefer instead to rail against the people who they are envious of and in so doing exploit the people they pretend to care about along the way.

NibblyPig
4th November 2015, 12:47
I love JK and these trashy programs.

Although Dogging Tales on c4 was a bit too much

MrMarkyMark
4th November 2015, 12:49
Although Dogging Tales on c4 was a bit too much

Did you participate then :smokin

d000hg
4th November 2015, 13:01
I think you will find if you get out of your gilded left wing bubble and walked around the working class areas where there is a mix of working and non working people you will find - from the people who actually live with the problems that society faces- that these views are held by working people irrespective of whether they are rich. The problem is the self serving affluent "left"who would not soil their hands to help the less fortunate themselves. They prefer instead to rail against the people who they are envious of and in so doing exploit the people they pretend to care about along the way.I lived in a poor deprived area for several years. I'm involved in a group based in another such village with very high unemployment and related issues - they run community projects, etc. I know many people who work in foodbanks, money-advice centres, soup-kitchens, etc, who deal with these people day in day out or simply befriend them and ask them what they need. I've at least one friend who was previously homeless.

So I'm more acquainted with these issues than most of the people on this forum, with a few exceptions of which you are not one. I'm not left-wing either.

The point I was making is that it's easy to just say "the state provides for the poor" as an axiom, and thereby infer anyone not cared for is choosing it to be that way. But that axiom is false. Even rich contractors know the state can mess up - PAYE being taken incorrectly and having to wait for refunds, doctors losing your appointments/referrals - it's just that in our cases this is an inconvenience. When the state messes up and you can't find somewhere to sleep, that's a bit more serious.

It's pretty obvious that any system this size WILL have errors occurring regardless of your political stance by the way. Only a perfect system would mean every homeless person is catered for. And of course, the homeless people still have to know what systems are in place and how to use them... that's not something to be taken for granted.

BrilloPad
4th November 2015, 13:03
I thought housing benefit was paid directly to the landlord?

d000hg
4th November 2015, 13:03
I thought housing benefit was paid directly to the landlord?You thought wrong. It's certainly not the norm although it seems things are no longer black and white because some landlords DO get money directly.

BrilloPad
4th November 2015, 13:05
You thought wrong. It's certainly not the norm although it seems things are no longer black and white because some landlords DO get money directly.

In the 90s I had some BTLs in Burnley. I got the housing benefit paid directly to me.

d000hg
4th November 2015, 13:07
It's not the 90s any more. A few other things have changed too :)

DodgyAgent
4th November 2015, 13:13
I lived in a poor deprived area for several years. I'm involved in a group based in another such village with very high unemployment and related issues - they run community projects, etc. I know many people who work in foodbanks, money-advice centres, soup-kitchens, etc, who deal with these people day in day out or simply befriend them and ask them what they need. I've at least one friend who was previously homeless.

So I'm more acquainted with these issues than most of the people on this forum, with a few exceptions of which you are not one. I'm not left-wing either.

The point I was making is that it's easy to just say "the state provides for the poor" as an axiom, and thereby infer anyone not cared for is choosing it to be that way. But that axiom is false. Even rich contractors know the state can mess up - PAYE being taken incorrectly and having to wait for refunds, doctors losing your appointments/referrals - it's just that in our cases this is an inconvenience. When the state messes up and you can't find somewhere to sleep, that's a bit more serious.

It's pretty obvious that any system this size WILL have errors occurring regardless of your political stance by the way. Only a perfect system would mean every homeless person is catered for. And of course, the homeless people still have to know what systems are in place and how to use them... that's not something to be taken for granted.

If this is true I do not know. What I find quite appalling is the readiness with which you and your ilk like to apportion blame on the rich. The fact is that it is the public services, given 50% of the nations earnings continue to fail.

BlasterBates
4th November 2015, 13:16
No that's just what rich right-wingers think... along with "anybody out of work is choosing not to work".

You are either entitled to emergency housing if you have kids or housing benefit if you have no income,

If the UK threw people on the street they would all go to Germany and claim housing benefits there, but actually that doesn't happen because you can claim benefits in the UK.

I mean one could perhaps argue that some local councils should provide more hostels and temporary accomodation for the ones who have no paperwork, but that's more to do with the odd one who falls through the net.

THe UK has a perfectly adequate social services just as good as Germany or Sweden, who also have a whole load of homeless inspite of being somewhat more generous.

According to Gov statistics 1700 were sleeping rough in any one night in England. Considering the population of 50 odd million that's not bad at all.

AtW
4th November 2015, 13:23
Landlord didnt get a penny, was £10K or so out of pocket.

:violin:

AtW
4th November 2015, 13:24
Best way to deal with this situation:

1. Don't be a landlord

:glasses

FTFY

BrilloPad
4th November 2015, 13:25
BTLers have borrowed from the future. Now the future wants it back.

BlasterBates
4th November 2015, 13:45
"anybody out of work is choosing not to work".

At current levels of unemployment anyone who is longterm unemployed isn't prepared to do unskilled work, which is fair enough don't begrudge it.

psychocandy
4th November 2015, 13:52
It's not the 90s any more. A few other things have changed too :)

I must admit I always thought things like rent were paid direct. Seems to be a bad idea to pay to tenant first.

Give some scrote £1000 extra and say use that for your rent. Yeh right - theres the lure of booze, fags, tatoos, clothes first - as the person on the program showed.

psychocandy
4th November 2015, 13:54
:violin:

Bad attitude. So you are saying no-one is allowed to show a bit of initiative, buy a property, make some money? Perhaps you need to move to a communist country....

GlenW
4th November 2015, 14:04
Bad attitude. So you are saying no-one is allowed to show a bit of initiative, buy a property, make some money? Perhaps you need to move to a communist country....

:popcorn:

vetran
4th November 2015, 14:17
Bad attitude. So you are saying no-one is allowed to show a bit of initiative, buy a property, make some money? Perhaps you need to move back to a screwed up communist country....

FTFY

Its funny one of our most entrepreneurial members has a real difficulty with BTLs.

AtW
4th November 2015, 14:51

Not even communists had this -

Theresa May: Internet data will be recorded under new spy laws - live - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11974112/New-spying-powers-to-be-unveiled-by-Theresa-May-live.html)

Any policeman can check sites visited by any citizen without court order? That isn't even possible in Russia now - only KGB can do it.

Might start a new business outside of UK - fast proxy servers.

AtW
4th November 2015, 14:56
Its funny one of our most entrepreneurial members has a real difficulty with BTLs.

I have problem with BTL - Borrow-To-Let. It's effectively an arbitrage that should be non-existent in an efficient market. Essentially people who do it are NOT landlords - they are just dirty spekulants who opportunistically used short-term arbitrage opportunity, mainly thanks to politicians who gave them tax relief that should have never been made available in the first place.

Way too many people became "landlords" in this country and renting house to somebody who lives in it should not be "accidental", there is no real protection for tenants - most people in this country can't afford proper legal advice, nevermind half serious legal action.

Tenants who don't pay bill on time regularly, damage property in any way should be kicked out for sure - however if they pay bills, behave well then it should not be possible to kick them out with a short notice.

AtW
4th November 2015, 15:01
Borrow-To-Let is inherently parasitic as it just reduces house availability and adds extra cost to tenants. There is no added value generated, only inflating the real estate bubble, which in itself should have resulted in a lot of discouragements to those who want to get into Borrow-To-Let, instead the Govt encouraged it by providing crazy tax relief that people living in their own house did not get!

Forgotmylogin
4th November 2015, 15:03
Not even communists had this -

Theresa May: Internet data will be recorded under new spy laws - live - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11974112/New-spying-powers-to-be-unveiled-by-Theresa-May-live.html)

Any policeman can check sites visited by any citizen without court order? That isn't even possible in Russia now - only KGB can do it.

Might start a new business outside of UK - fast proxy servers.

I might start a new business teaching remedial literacy to adults.

No, "any policeman" can't just go and look up the "sites visited by any citizen without court order".

They will need a warrant. Under normal circumstances this would initially be signed off by the Home Secretary, and then reviewed by a judge. There is a provision for the judge to be bypassed, but it basically comes down to time-sensitive needs, e.g. someones life in immediate danger.

It's not just a case of booting up a laptop at the cop shop, logging onto a registry and reading the data.

AtW
4th November 2015, 15:05
No, "any policeman" can't just go and look up the "sites visited by any citizen without court order".

I feel better already...

This law is the blanket surveillance on whole country - worse than Stasi did. Of course they are doing it now illegally and want to make it legal

vetran
4th November 2015, 15:06
Borrow-To-Let is inherently parasitic as it just reduces house availability and adds extra cost to tenants. There is no added value generated, only inflating the real estate bubble, which in itself should have resulted in a lot of discouragements to those who want to get into Borrow-To-Let, instead the Govt encouraged it by providing crazy tax relief that people living in their own house did not get!

Brits buy homes, the Germans rent (http://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/mar/19/brits-buy-germans-rent)

Forgotmylogin
4th November 2015, 15:14
I feel better already...

This law is the blanket surveillance on whole country - worse than Stasi did. Of course they are doing it now illegally and want to make it legal

:facepalm:

No, it's not.

Surveillance (/sərˈveɪ.əns/ or /sərˈveɪləns/)[1] is the monitoring of the behavior, activities, or other changing information, usually of people for the purpose of influencing, managing, directing, or protecting them.

Just because information is being recorded that doesn't make it surveillance. It starts to become surveillance at the point where somebody actually looks at that data. If no-one ever looked at it, then how is it being used for any purpose? For it to be blanket surveillance on the whole country then somebody would need to be reviewing all of the data, for every user.

CCTV in London is generally surveillance, as generally there are controllers watching it live. If the cameras were recording, with no-one watching, and only specific time windows of specific cameras available to be viewed after a warrant is issued it would not be surveillance.

AtW
4th November 2015, 15:29
Just because information is being recorded that doesn't make it surveillance. It starts to become surveillance at the point where somebody actually looks at that data. If no-one ever looked at it, then how is it being used for any purpose? For it to be blanket surveillance on the whole country then somebody would need to be reviewing all of the data, for every user.

CCTV in London is generally surveillance, as generally there are controllers watching it live. If the cameras were recording, with no-one watching, and only specific time windows of specific cameras available to be viewed after a warrant is issued it would not be surveillance.

CCTV is in public and in select places. It's proportional mechanism that is OK, they don't film what you do in your bedsit.

Recording Internet usage data for everybody is mass scale surveillance that even fascist states never managed so far. It's completely unacceptable

Anyway it's a wrong thread and in any case I'll probably make millions on running foreign proxy firm whilst drinking martini on the beach in some offshore country. So bring it on ...

AtW
4th November 2015, 15:31
Brits buy homes, the Germans rent (http://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/mar/19/brits-buy-germans-rent)

Brits BORROW to buy homes, the Germans live within their means, ie - rent. By the way laws protecting tenants in Germany are pretty good. In UK there is effectively no protection of tenants, but crazily enough squatters somehow got some rights, WTF?

unixman
4th November 2015, 15:38
Can't Pay... sometimes feel sorry for the evicted tenants on this program. Sometimes they are people who have been through unfortunate events, living in horrible conditions. And it is hard to like those bailiffs, even where they are justified. Other times, the tenant is not badly off, just living a reasonable life while putting the owner into financial difficulty.

BrilloPad
4th November 2015, 15:43
psychcandy now benched. so he might be appearing on the show! :laugh

vetran
4th November 2015, 15:52
Brits BORROW to buy homes, the Germans live within their means, ie - rent. By the way laws protecting tenants in Germany are pretty good. In UK there is effectively no protection of tenants, but crazily enough squatters somehow got some rights, WTF?

The rights for tenants in the UK are pretty good nowadays they aren't however properly enforced.
https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/your-rights-and-responsibilities

If you mean tenants don't have a right to stay in properties indefinitely despite fixed term tenancies expiring then tough buy a house. Renting is completely different to owning, its not "YOUR HOME" its a "RENTAL PROPERTY".

Squatters in private residences lost most of their ridiculous 'rights' a couple of years ago, it still takes a couple of weeks to evict them but that is better than 6- 9 months.

https://www.gov.uk/squatting-law/overview

psychocandy
4th November 2015, 15:53
psychcandy now benched. so he might be appearing on the show! :laugh

You never know lol.

MrMarkyMark
4th November 2015, 15:55
You never know lol.

Don't forget Jeremy Kyle, I can really see you on there :smokin

AtW
4th November 2015, 16:01
The rights for tenants in the UK are pretty good nowadays they aren't however properly enforced.

The key problem for UK tenants is that almost all agreements are assured shorthold tenancy - when they turn into periodic tenant can be kicked out within 1-2 months, that's way too short.

I had to buy cheap sofa for that reason :eyes

vetran
4th November 2015, 16:05
The key problem for UK tenants is that almost all agreements are assured shorthold tenancy - when they turn into periodic tenant can be kicked out within 1-2 months, that's way too short.

I had to buy cheap sofa for that reason :eyes

how long would you like the notice to be? 1-2 months seems a reasonable notice period to give. Most Permie jobs are that.

If you want long term stability you should buy a house. If you want the flexibility of renting you have to see it as a two way thing.

meridian
4th November 2015, 16:08
[QUOTE=vetran;2163271]If you mean tenants don't have a right to stay in properties indefinitely despite fixed term tenancies expiring then tough buy a house. Renting is completely different to owning, its not "YOUR HOME" its a "RENTAL PROPERTY".[\QUOTE]

Not quite. For renters, it's not "YOUR HOUSE", but for many if not most of us it is our home. There's a subtle difference.

Many landlords these days want it both ways, they want to complain about tenants not treating the property as their home but then they want to keep it as an arms-length business transaction. It's a very difficult line to walk when one side can be emotionally involved.

AtW
4th November 2015, 16:13
how long would you like the notice to be? 1-2 months seems a reasonable notice period to give. Most Permie jobs are that.

Not having a job is not the same as not having a home to stay in and watch tulipe daily shows on Sky like PC will be doing for the foreseeable future.

Notice to tenant should be very long, 6 months minimum.

The notice to landlord should be shorter - say 2 months.

In some countries in Europe you can't even get rid of tenant if they pay on time, providing housing to people should not be short term game, because it's not a game.

Zero Liability
4th November 2015, 16:14

Agreed but only on the basis that the govt and its central bank are doing their utmost to keep lending artificially cheap. It won't last forever, though.

AtW
4th November 2015, 16:24
Agreed but only on the basis that the govt and its central bank are doing their utmost to keep lending artificially cheap. It won't last forever, though.

But the house prices always go up anyway, right?

:eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAWvLQvacpc

VectraMan
4th November 2015, 16:26
If you mean tenants don't have a right to stay in properties indefinitely despite fixed term tenancies expiring then tough buy a house.

Tenants can't afford to do that thanks to you lot making free money out of renting and then moaning about how you're not getting rich quick enough. But even if they can they're still only moving from the landlord's house to the bank's house. You don't have the right to stay no matter what, at least not for 25 years or so.

I've actually no idea if I have to give notice to my landlord or if she can or has to give notice to me. The agreement expired a long time ago and I just stayed.:rolleyes:

vetran
4th November 2015, 16:27
Not having a job is not the same as not having a home to stay in and watch tulipe daily shows on Sky like PC will be doing for the foreseeable future.

Notice to tenant should be very long, 6 months minimum.

The notice to landlord should be shorter - say 2 months.

In some countries in Europe you can't even get rid of tenant if they pay on time, providing housing to people should not be short term game, because it's not a game.

Why does the Tenant need 6 months notice if they signed a 12 month contract?

https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-agreements-a-guide-for-landlords/ending-a-tenancy

Of course you have to give 2 months notice then 2 months to get eviction, during which time they probably won't pay rent.

Why should notice to the landlord be shorter? Aren't they entitled to the same courtesy? It amuses me everyone believe Landlords should be a branch of social services.

AtW
4th November 2015, 16:28
My landlord is a mutual society that thought they were a bank :mad

vetran
4th November 2015, 16:32
[QUOTE=vetran;2163271]If you mean tenants don't have a right to stay in properties indefinitely despite fixed term tenancies expiring then tough buy a house. Renting is completely different to owning, its not "YOUR HOME" its a "RENTAL PROPERTY".[\QUOTE]

Not quite. For renters, it's not "YOUR HOUSE", but for many if not most of us it is our home. There's a subtle difference.

Many landlords these days want it both ways, they want to complain about tenants not treating the property as their home but then they want to keep it as an arms-length business transaction. It's a very difficult line to walk when one side can be emotionally involved.

Its funny that as an owner you have more protection renting out a car than you do renting a property.

I was very careful with the choice of words.

Its a rental property full stop, you may consider it "Your" home but it isn't any more than a hotel room is your home. Now I'm sympathetic with those that pay market rents and have sensible tenancies but those on subsidised rents and council tenancies get on my nerves.

AtW
4th November 2015, 16:33
Why does the Tenant need 6 months notice if they signed a 12 month contract?

Signed contract is a signed contract, more important what happens after it turns into Periodic Tenancy - that's where notice periods are unacceptably short right now, could be as little as 1 month, or even a week if they pay weekly!

Why should notice to the landlord be shorter? Aren't they entitled to the same courtesy? It amuses me everyone believe Landlords should be a branch of social services.

Landlord got a house to live in. One can argue for "flexible jobs market" with short notices and fook all employee rights to encourage investment, but there is no such need in the housing market because it only encourages higher demand for same limited house numbers - staying in a warm house is more important than having a job.

vetran
4th November 2015, 16:33
My landlord is a mutual society that thought they were a bank :mad

are they better than a BTL landlord?

AtW
4th November 2015, 16:34
are they better than a BTL landlord?

Actually yes - no rent increases in 5 years :laugh

They are trying to sell the flats at crazy price though to return their mortgage money :eyes

I reckon they are just incompetent.

vetran
4th November 2015, 16:39
Signed contract is a signed contract, more important what happens after it turns into Periodic Tenancy - that's where notice periods are unacceptably short right now, could be as little as 1 month, or even a week if they pay weekly!

Reasonable point, my understanding is it becomes a periodic tenancy when the landlord lets it lapse, have you had a request to remain on fixed tenancy refused?

Landlord got a house to live in. One can argue for "flexible jobs market" with short notices and fook all employee rights to encourage investment, but there is no such need in the housing market because it only encourages higher demand for same limited house numbers - staying in a warm house is more important than having a job.

Landlord may have a house to live in or they may have been working abroad and returning or need the property for another purpose. It is their house!

AtW
4th November 2015, 16:42
Reasonable point, my understanding is it becomes a periodic tenancy when the landlord lets it lapse, have you had a request to remain on fixed tenancy refused?

Yes, it happened and I was shortly kicked out from a nice place.

Also asking for new contract is effectively asking for a rent review.

Landlord may have a house to live in or they may have been working abroad and returning or need the property for another purpose. It is their house!

It's a house rented out to other people. Nobody should be getting into such business lightly and should fully appreciate that it's a long term thing and that tenants can't be kicked out just because landlord returned from working abroad.

vetran
4th November 2015, 16:51
Yes, it happened and I was shortly kicked out from a nice place.

Also asking for new contract is effectively asking for a rent review.

It's a house rented out to other people. Nobody should be getting into such business lightly and should fully appreciate that it's a long term thing and that tenants can't be kicked out just because landlord returned from working abroad.

Was the new rent they wanted the market rent? Did they have any problem renting it out? If so why should they subsidise you?

So if I go abroad to work I shouldn't rent the house out or have a reasonable expectation to get it back so my family can live in it? This so as not to upset a tenant.

AtW
4th November 2015, 17:02
Was the new rent they wanted the market rent? Did they have any problem renting it out? If so why should they subsidise you?

They decided to sell the house. It was a big firm actually with thousands of houses.

So if I go abroad to work I shouldn't rent the house out or have a reasonable expectation to get it back so my family can live in it? This so as not to upset a tenant.

If you choose to go abroad to work then it's your choice, you should be paid well for that decision to cover any costs of the house that you'll have (like what - council tax, standing charge on electric?). If you letting house to tenants then it should be long term game, unless it's something inherently short term like say student needs place for a term.

meridian
4th November 2015, 18:14
[QUOTE=meridian;2163287]

Its funny that as an owner you have more protection renting out a car than you do renting a property.

I was very careful with the choice of words.

Its a rental property full stop, you may consider it "Your" home but it isn't any more than a hotel room is your home. Now I'm sympathetic with those that pay market rents and have sensible tenancies but those on subsidised rents and council tenancies get on my nerves.

Apples and oranges. A roof over your family's head is a necessity and is expected to be a long term proposition, so the emotional attachment is greater than a hotel room or a car (granted, there are some boofheads who would have a greater attachment to their car...).

It might just be a rental property to you "full stop", but to the tenant it's a home. Just saying that it's one thing and showing no empathy for the other side doesn't make it so.

AtW
4th November 2015, 18:32
Renting out a house as a landlord is an optional activity, but living in a house/flat isn't.

vetran
5th November 2015, 23:27
They decided to sell the house. It was a big firm actually with thousands of houses.

If you choose to go abroad to work then it's your choice, you should be paid well for that decision to cover any costs of the house that you'll have (like what - council tax, standing charge on electric?). If you letting house to tenants then it should be long term game, unless it's something inherently short term like say student needs place for a term.

boo hoo so they weren't any nicer than a BTLer?

The landlord bought the house its 'His/Hers' so if they come back from abroad and give the proper legal notice then they are entitled to their house back.

The tenant rented the house it is still the landlord's.

If you want the benefits of owning a house then buy one, if you want to rent then expect some downsides. Sorry its as simple as that.

Zero Liability
5th November 2015, 23:36
If you want the benefits of owning a house then buy one, if you want to rent then expect some downsides. Sorry its as simple as that.

It's also senseless to expect landlords to try fill the holes left by years of bad govt housing and credit policy, that have made it so unaffordable as it currently is, as it amounts to attacking a symptom rather than any actual causes.

AtW
6th November 2015, 00:44

I think landlords should be required to have a license and such license should only be issued for newly build houses that those landlords financed in full - that would be OK.

vetran
6th November 2015, 08:57
I think landlords should be required to have a license and such license should only be issued for newly build houses that those landlords financed in full - that would be OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

DodgyAgent
6th November 2015, 08:59

You can take the man out of the state but you cannot take the state out of the man :happy