• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grand Designs: House of the year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand Designs: House of the year

Seems to be a collection of fruitbats that crave affirmation.

I gave up after a couple of the houses as none of them were actually homes; somewhere where you can kick off your shoes and read a book in comfort with a glass or two of wine.

They were more like gleaming showcases for the narcissistic owners.

Comment

Is this featuring houses from the regular series or something else?

I used to watch GD avidly when it was first on but got out of the habit. This series was pretty interesting - some were ghastly but others were wonderful (and I imagine we'd totally disagree which were each). The massive car-parks with glass walls do nothing for me, but the guy who converted a cave was very interesting. And the weirdo who had also lived on boats... it's good that GD doesn't only focus on £1m builds, the smaller ones on a tight budget are often far more interesting.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

No, this is a special GD series showing off the shortlist for the RIBA House of the Year. Lots of gleaming glass carparks.

Standard GD is still excellent.

Comment

There can be only one!

Comment

I don't believe houses with that much glass and no carpets can be warm in the winter, even if they have paid 50 grand on triple glazing.

Comment

Don't they always have underfloor heating?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I don't believe houses with that much glass and no carpets can be warm in the winter, even if they have paid 50 grand on triple glazing.
                Does Triple Glazing Make Sense? - Homebuilding & Renovating

we have a south facing large conservatory, in the winter we use it to partially heat the house. In the summer we have to use the roof blinds.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I always remember there was a crumbling heap of stone that was a castle once - not that you could tell. In Yorkshire. For some off reason English heritage had grade 1 listed it.

Some architect came up with this great plan to turn it into a amazing home - keeping what he could. It would cost about £500k. English heritage fought him every step of the way. At one point they were clearing away fallen stone - which was supporting the main structure. So that partly collapsed! English Heritage then caused him loads more grief.

I am pleased to say he did get a really nice home. Was it worth the aggro? English heritage should be encouraging people like him...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Don't they always have underfloor heating?
                    And a boiler from the Queen Mary hidden in the basement.

Comment

Working...
                    X