• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling Company Vehicle on eBay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling Company Vehicle on eBay

I have a 10 year old company van, which now needs a new gearbox etc., I have decided to sell the vehicle through eBay, I believe I have to charge VAT on the vehicle and also declare the sale on my next VAT return. If I was to receive say £1000 + £200 VAT on the sale of the vehicle, would I then declare this amount on the VAT return, or also take into account eBay selling fees of 10% + insertion fees + PayPal fees etc.?

Have any other contractors been in a similar situation selling a company vehicle?

You invoice for the sale amount including VAT.

Selling fees etc go down as a cost of goods sold in the accounts.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I was curious so I googled it for you:

https://www.gov.uk/vat-vehicle-sales...the-uk/used/no

That's if you bought it privately and weren't charged VAT. You don't pay any VAT if the value is less than you paid, and you don't add VAT to the sale price. If you paid VAT when you bought it you have to add VAT as a normal sale.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Hope it's not going too of topic but am interested to know. Does eBay get involved with disputes over the state of the van when it's sold. If you sell it as immaculate and a buyer spots the mechanical fault does it give them an extra option to get their money back or is the 'Sold as seen ' on the receipt you give still trump it all?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Hope it's not going too of topic but am interested to know. Does eBay get involved with disputes over the state of the van when it's sold. If you sell it as immaculate and a buyer spots the mechanical fault does it give them an extra option to get their money back or is the 'Sold as seen ' on the receipt you give still trump it all?
          For vehicles, there's much less comeback - it's essentially a used car advert site.

I've bought through eBay twice before though - and you don't pay the commission as a percentage in the same way as a normal sale. And you'd be stupid to use PayPal for anything other than a small deposit - cash, bankers draft or bank transfer only.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
          X