• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Welsh town declares itself offshore for tax purposes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welsh town declares itself offshore for tax purposes

Have we done this one?

Crickhowell: Welsh town moves 'offshore' to avoid tax on local business | UK | News | The Independent

Now local businesses in Crickhowell are turning the tables on the likes of Google and Starbucks by employing the same accountancy practices used by the world’s biggest companies, to move their entire town “offshore”.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Interesting protest... force the government to do something about it if other towns do similar?

It looks like a pretty little town.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

In what way is that "turning the tables on the likes of Google and Starbucks"? Why would they GAS?

Lovely place, Crickhowell BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        It looks like a pretty little town.
        Its lovely there, they do a nice single malt and decent grub in The Bear.
        The old boy behind the bar, even gave me a nice nip, prior to purchase g

Plenty of places to walk around too, friendly natives etc.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Sign me up
          Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Can we register company at an address there and do the same?

Comment

Originally posted by mdhd View Post
              Can we register company at an address there and do the same?
              Maybe we all can and it will become a massive tax haven worth. Stranger things have happened!

Comment

I can see this could be a big problem for Georgie.

This could be a far bigger worry, for him, than contractor, tax evading, scum.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'm afraid these people are going to get clobbered.

Google, Starbucks and Facebook are US companies owned by US citizens that's why it works

When you have Sweet shop in North Wales and you run it through an offshore company, it's a company owned by the UK tax payer.

i.e. Google UK doesn't own Google Bahamas.

I'm afraid this is a very significant point.

They're just going to get taken to the cleaners using UK law and it won't make a ha'porth of difference because HMRC can't take Google US to court..

To get Google to pay tax they need a change to the UK/US and probably other countries tax treaties.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    To get Google to pay tax they need a change to the UK/US and probably other countries tax treaties.
                    I'm not sure this part is true. It is surely not impossible to find a way to word "profit" appropriately, and/or make certain types of expenditure non-deductible, under "the business you do in the UK is subject to UK law" rules?

Comment

Working...
                    X