• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tenants possibly trying it on for house repairs/upgrades?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenants possibly trying it on for house repairs/upgrades?

Any of the BTL'ers had this?

When me and Mrs.RL4 got wed, we rented her house out, initially via Bridgfords, but as they turned out to be as much use as a marzipan d!ldo, and as the tenants were good (houseproud, had family next door) we went direct.

All has been fine for 2 years or so, then they had a leak in the upstairs bathroom which went unnoticed and caused part of the kitchen ceiling to collapse, luckily this was covered under the landlords insurance. Next issue was one of the PVC door locks jammed and they had to 'force it open' to get out (I said there's another door to facilitate egress), damaging the (admitedly old) door in the process, looks like it's going to be be ~£500 to replace.

Now these are hopefully just normal wear and tear i.e. not deliberate but I'm just wondering what strategies we coulduse, if they decide to get a taste for this kind of free home improvement? After the leak we said we'd get a bath installed rather than the shower (they have a new baby) whilst the ceiling was being fixed, so one line could be:

- We're having to replace the door but this means the funds for the bath replacement will now not be available for a few months..
    - (Worst case) "The house obviously needs money spending on it, we're going to have to stop renting it and move you out in order to do a proper renovation.."

What would /gen/ suggest?

TIA
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

How inconsiderate of your tenants. Throw them to the gutter.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Stop being a tight-arse and do some maintenance on your investment. You didn't think it would just be hassle-free money, did you?

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post

When me and Mrs.RL4 got wed, we rented her house out, initially via Bridgfords, but as they turned out to be as much use as a marzipan d!ldo, and as the tenants were good (houseproud, had family next door) we went direct.

All has been fine for 2 years or so, then they had a leak in the upstairs bathroom which went unnoticed and caused part of the kitchen ceiling to collapse, luckily this was covered under the landlords insurance. Next issue was one of the PVC door locks jammed and they had to 'force it open' to get out (I said there's another door to facilitate egress), damaging the (admitedly old) door in the process, looks like it's going to be be ~£500 to replace.

Now these are hopefully just normal wear and tear i.e. not deliberate but I'm just wondering what strategies we coulduse, if they decide to get a taste for this kind of free home improvement? After the leak we said we'd get a bath installed rather than the shower (they have a new baby) whilst the ceiling was being fixed, so one line could be:

- We're having to replace the door but this means the funds for the bath replacement will now not be available for a few months..
        - (Worst case) "The house obviously needs money spending on it, we're going to have to stop renting it and move you out in order to do a proper renovation.."

TIA
        Things like this happen, even in your own home. I don't think theirs much of a strategy you can you (or at least not one I've ever been able to successfully pull off). If the house is needing work then things will start to go wrong. Is it maybe time to spend some money on it to prevent the bigger issues cropping up?

Comment

What % per year do you set aside for Maintenance?

Are these costs exceeding this amount?
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

All has been fine for 2 years or so, then they had a leak in the upstairs bathroom which went unnoticed and caused part of the kitchen ceiling to collapse, luckily this was covered under the landlords insurance.

OK but why was it not noticed?

Next issue was one of the PVC door locks jammed and they had to 'force it open' to get out (I said there's another door to facilitate egress), damaging the (admitedly old) door in the process, looks like it's going to be be ~£500 to replace.

why did they not use the other door or call a locksmith? I would be tempted to pay out up to a locksmith's call out - what does your contract say? I would definitely suggest they call you first before damaging anything.
            Obviously if you were Mauve Monkey BTLers you would give them 6 months free rental and allow them to sleep with your wife for the inconvenience.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

All has been fine for 2 yearsor so
              Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Things happen, to suggest it is deliberate is disingenuous.
              No one likes doing without a bathroom, so, I can't see why you would think they have knowingly bought the ceiling down
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

TIA
                You're being serious, right? Wow.

Comment

Punishing tenants for problems that were caused by defects due to inadequate maintenance and causing considerable inconvenience will probably put them on the warpath.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 12 November 2015, 11:17.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

What would MF do if it was one of his wife's BTLs?

What would AtW do if he was a tenant?

Discuss

Comment

Working...
                    X