• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

30,000 welsh men 'eat take-aways daily'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30,000 welsh men 'eat take-aways daily'

30,000 men 'eat take-aways daily'

Thousands of men eat take-aways daily, according to research
    Thirty-thousand men in Wales admit to eating a take-away meal every day of the week, according to BBC research.
    BBC Wales' X-Ray programme also found just under 40% of families ate take-aways at least once a week.

Researchers, who spoke to more than 1,000 people in Wales about their eating habits, found men were most keen on take-away food.

It was also found that eating habits are changing with fewer households eating meals around a table.
    From the Beeb

I guess a lot of people on this site work away from home a fair bit therefore limiting their ability to get homecooked food. So how bad are most contractors diets?

Depends what they class as a takeaway. If it's a sandwich from Benji's then at least half the City of London eat a takeaway every day. Either way, takeway does not necessarily mean unhealthy. Take a proper chicken kebab for instance - chargrilled lean meat with salad and pitta bread. Actually quite a healthy meal.

I like to think I eat healthily. Even when working on site I tend to bring my own lunch from home rather than buy one in.

Comment

I deliberately rented a place for my current gig rather than hoteling it. I couldn't face another club sandwich. I now cook in the evenings rather than sucumb to the tempting delights of the local pizza/chicken/kebab emporium or take-away.

Comment

Huh?

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Take a donner kebab...

No...

On 2nd thoughts, have mine instead...
        But if you're giving it away, surely it's a donor kebab?
        I shall fetch my outergarment.
        Why not?

Comment

Some early evening consumer affairs programme the other day visited the factory that supplies something like 90% of all the doners in the UK. It was actually in very good order and they only used proper cuts of UK lamb (primarily shoulder) butchered on the premises to make the mince. When grilled and freshly cut, not too bad. More fatty than, say, a shish of course, but not as bad as you might think.

Of course, who knows what the shop does to it when they get it.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Have I mentioned the rat catcher I knew (environmental health officer) who told me of the donner kebab thingy he examined which had maggots in the middle?
            I've heard that rumour too. How the maggots slowly work their way to the middle as the heat builds up. Probably another myth but go for the shish instead. As said, it's the healthy option - apart from the chilli sauce - and the garlic mayonnaise etc etc etc

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
              Some early evening consumer affairs programme the other day visited the factory that supplies something like 90% of all the doners in the UK. It was actually in very good order and they only used proper cuts of UK lamb (primarily shoulder) butchered on the premises to make the mince. When grilled and freshly cut, not too bad. More fatty than, say, a shish of course, but not as bad as you might think.

Of course, who knows what the shop does to it when they get it.
              When I was a student in Birmingham we used to regularly consume the wares from our local kebab shop.

Imagine our surprise when Mr Popadopoulous was arrested by the local constabularly for keeping the elephant legs in his garage.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
              X