• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do when your confidence is shot.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do when your confidence is shot.....

Ok, was gonna post this in business/contracts but thought I would open it up to wider general and take the backlash/muppets as well as the genuine posters.

Two months ago I tried to take my skill set to a new higher level and it failed miserably, I think I over stretched, i still want to make the move to the next level, but will have to do it slowly and a bit more thought out.

Anyway that means I am benched and back on the prowl for gigs, the good news is that Manchester seems to be a buzzing market at the moment so a few leads there about gigs at a good rate, commutable from home, but back at my old steady skillset, I am even getting some traction from LinkedIn so I am not applying for gigs, they are coming to me.

However I also fired off my CV for an out and out crappy PM role, crap pay, crap company, crap location, there is a sliver of silver lining that they are looking for a range of PM's and one area is the area I want to work in which is why I applied for it, and bird in the hand and all when it comes to money earnt while on the bench.

Due to the fact its a crappy role, in a crappy location, with a crappy company and crappy pay they will come back with an offer and as my confidence is shot to pieces I don't want to take the first job on offer and regret it.

WWAWD?

What would Andyw do?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

no one knows yourself better than you. How could you cope with a few more rejections then a dried up market.
    If that would be a body blow - take the crap job

btw - have some of this
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Do you have any PM qualifications? Maybe do a OU /AMP course on the side of not?
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

+1 for having a crack at it.

Keep trying and learning from your experiences and I'm sure it will come good in the end.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Is the Pm gig on track for the master plan or just a place holder till you gather yourself?

If its got any chance of putting you back on the pathway then give it serious consideration. If its just a 'its better than the bench gig' and there is a 'buzzing' market then probably best to see what else flies. Of course, contract length could work out well, if its a 3 monther, gets you over Christmas and the market should still be buzzing...

Bounce the first offer and see what they do... they may be really keen to have you if they are as tulipe as you say...
          If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

I wouldn't touch a PM role with a barge pole unless you are an experienced PM and plan on being so going forward. I don't think it's helps you CV one jot and when I get a CV with a single PM gig it sets the alarm bells ringing. Anyone can go through the process of a project but there are very few good PMs out there.

Crappy gig with a crappy company tells me you are going to be doing everything in a haphazard way which will do little to further your skills or your career. IMO avoid at all costs unless this is your new future direction.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Go and have a crap it will take a huge weight off your mind
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Go and have a crap it will take a huge weight off your mind
                Disappointed in you Dodgy, thought you would be trying to hook the lad up with a role.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I wouldn't touch a PM role with a barge pole unless you are an experienced PM and plan on being so going forward. I don't think it's helps you CV one jot and when I get a CV with a single PM gig it sets the alarm bells ringing. Anyone can go through the process of a project but there are very few good PMs out there.

Crappy gig with a crappy company tells me you are going to be doing everything in a haphazard way which will do little to further your skills or your career. IMO avoid at all costs.
                  But is the eternal quest one perfect gig after another on the CV, or a bit of a trials and tribulations CV showing character and experience?
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Book your hotel for the Christmas party, and we'll all tell you how fab we think you are.

Comment

Working...
                    X