• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC targets effluent taxpayers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC targets effluent taxpayers

HMRC targets 'affluent' taxpayers in anti-avoidance crackdown - Telegraph

Since when has avoidance been illegal? I certainly hope they target those engaged in evasion and close schemes prospectively...

Is the effluent comment a clever play on words that is way beyond my lowly Yorkshire edukashun?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Is the effluent comment a clever play on words that is way beyond my lowly Yorkshire edukashun?
      Funny, I thought it was a direct stab at you.
      I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
        Funny, I thought it was a direct stab at you.
        That would be diatribe but the title 'HMRC targets diatribe taxpayers' could be a little (more) confusing.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

He should have just gone with "HMRC targets everyone who isn't rich but has an income"
          I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Until recently the taxman was mainly investigating "high net worth" individuals - those earning £1m or more - but now their attention has shifted further down the income scale.
            Says it all really, couldn't get them, so will go lower down the scale
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

" Set up in 2011, the Affluent Unit is especially interested in those owning property or bank accounts offshore, along with significant property holdings in the UK. "

" Those paying low rates of tax on total income are likely to be subject to scrutiny, even though there are legitimate ways in which high earners can significantly reduce their tax bill. "

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Since when has avoidance been illegal?
                Just because it's legal doesn't mean they can't try to prevent it.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
                  He should have just gone with "HMRC targets everyone who isn't rich but has an income"
                  Meanwhile, the affluent unit will grow very affluent, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I was preparing an onslaught when the flood of newbies you are redirecting from the professional forums.

Comment

Working...
                    X