• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Insurance annual mileage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Insurance annual mileage

When you apply for a new car insurance policy there's always a question about how many annual miles you're likely to do. I know it's a bit rough and ready, but is there any obligation to inform your insurance company if you go over, and if so has anyone done so?

I presume they could refuse to pay out if you'd say, driven 30k miles when you ticked the 20k box.

I've done it twice when I got a new gigs that would have doubled my stated mileage and in both cases it made no difference to the premium. I did ask about it at the time and there is a large amount of wiggle room but the agent didn't know how much. The agent did state they will check on cases where misinformation has been given to alter the risk or the premium as that is fraud. He had never seen a claim questioned because a commute has changed and the mileage increased a smallish percentage. He did advise that I do make them aware and that I check and alter mileage approximations every renewal though.

Not something I would be taking for granted particularly if it doesn't affect the premium.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 17 November 2015, 14:34.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've sailed over my stated annual mileage before.

There are limited mileage policies, but those say they are limited mileage. If it's an estimate and you aren't blatantly lying at the time you give the estimate, I don't see how there's any problem.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I've worked in Insurance. They know your mileage from MoTs. They won't bring you up on it til you claim, then they don't pay out.

Comment

Originally posted by boulderman View Post
          I've worked in Insurance. They know your mileage from MoTs. They won't bring you up on it til you claim, then they don't pay out.
          They have to legally pay out to third parties. They have tried to avoid it but the courts and the ombudsman have refused to allow them to get away with it.

The main issue is not them refusing to pay out but cancelling your policy as they can return your premium and cancel it. This means you will find it difficult to get any form of insurance for life whether it's buildings, contents, business or whatever.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Why risk it?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Why risk it?
              Absolutely this.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                When you apply for a new car insurance policy there's always a question about how many annual miles you're likely to do. I know it's a bit rough and ready, but is there any obligation to inform your insurance company if you go over, and if so has anyone done so?
                Yes because it's a material fact that alters your risk profile and yes.

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                I presume they could refuse to pay out if you'd say, driven 30k miles when you ticked the 20k box.
                If your car is involved in an accident where they have to inspect it then they won't pay out as it's so wildly over your estimate it's not a mistake. You need to worry more about them cancelling the policy not just refusing to pay out.

So make the best guess you can to cover the entire year. If you think you are then going to go more then 2K over, phone them up when you are near your original guess and get the policy amended. If you do it with 3-4 months left the amendment doesn't cost a lot as your are less of a risk than at the beginning of the year. Though don't make a habit of doing it

You should choose an insurer with no or low admin fees if you think you are going to have to make any mid-term changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Why risk it?
                  Because people are fools and think it won't happen to them.

Comment

I can go from commuting by car and driving 160 miles a day for 3 months or more to another where Im on a train for the next and literally driving only 10 miles a week tops.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X