PDA

View Full Version : Is this a virus?

xoggoth
17th November 2015, 17:33
Acquaintance (with an iPad) asked me about odd activity on her Microsoft account today. "View your activity" was showing numerous logins, sometimes just minutes apart, with ISPs changing more than I'd expect and the browser was sometimes showing as unknown rather than Opera. I suggested she needed to download a virus checker but she said she had a problem installing one which does not sound good either.

No expert on viruses, let alone iPad ones, so any ideas. Has she got a problem?

stek
17th November 2015, 17:36
Acquaintance (with an iPad) asked me about odd activity on her Microsoft account today. "View your activity" was showing numerous logins, sometimes just minutes apart, with ISPs changing more than I'd expect and the browser was sometimes showing as unknown rather than Opera. I suggested she needed to download a virus checker but she said she had a problem installing one which does not sound good either.

No expert on viruses, let alone iPad ones, so any ideas. Has she got a problem?

Sounds like a bot hammering her account, nothing to do with the device.

DaveB
17th November 2015, 19:36
Sounds like a bot hammering her account, nothing to do with the device.

This. It's noting to do with the iPad. She needs to change the password on her account pronto.

xoggoth
18th November 2015, 18:05
Cheers. I'll let her know, if she hasn't already.

SueEllen
18th November 2015, 20:02
Cheers. I'll let her know, if she hasn't already.

And get her to choose a sensible password that isn't open to dictionary attack.

Boney M
19th November 2015, 00:14
as above and very much doubt it and the iPAD ships with Safari unless he downloaded Opera, are those opera people still out there?

xoggoth
19th November 2015, 10:29
I meant Safari. And he's a she, very nice. Maybe I'll say she needs to come round so I can fix it for her.