• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Admiral and speed awareness course

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Admiral and speed awareness course

It's car renewal time, so I used confused dot com to get some quotes, admiral was the cheapest so I went through to the admiral site, but whilst checking the entries scraped from confused I found that if you've been on a speed awareness course you have to ring them. So..

1) presumably this will increase the premium, does anyone know by how much?
    2) how would they ever find out if you had but said not?

While you are lying why not tell them you are a 70 year old Lady who lives in the countryside and rarely drives?

And don't tell them it is for your red sports car. Tell them it is for your Nissan Micra.

Comment

Admiral group are the only ones who ask about speed awareness courses, and yes they increase your premium. The amount depends on other risk factors.

Other insurers are not interested because they are too busy dealing with the numerous other lies people tell e.g. they have no points on their licence, they never had any other insurance cancelled, the car is parked in the garage......
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I dont think Admiral are the only ins co to penalise you if you go on a SA course. Admiral are part of a group that includes Sheila's Wheels, Elephant (I think) and others and would expect them to have the same policy. So yes, with these companies, SA course is the same as getting points and results in a premium increase.

That said, if you've been caught speeding, what difference should it make if you accept the points or go on an SA course? Going on the course doesnt mean you didnt get caught.

Im not sure they wouldnt find out due to the MIB \ DVLA tie up. You'd be driving around not knowing if \ when they found out and potentially invalidate your policy so, you'd be driving uninsured.

Worth the risk of not declaring it?
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          It's not worth the risk.

Just like it's not worth aggressively avoiding tax...

Comment

I used Admiral to insure the kids cars while they built up their NCB
            Son No 2 has attended a SAC some years ago but has not been declared
            He has also written off a vehicle avoiding another car some years ago- the only loss being to his vehicle this also has not been declared which is risky but afaik not traceable
            Daughter had a no fault (police description) accident with a cyclist - no claim was made or matters arising but I informed Admiral ho then insisted in invoking their solicitors and car inspectors to perform a full analysis and incur £500 of their costs meaning daughter lost her NCB
            Wife's car was backed into in a supermarket car park while she was shopping inside, according to Admiral this makes her a higher risk and they load for no fault accidents which would mean £50 per car should she remain as a named driver on their policies
            Any amendment . i.e. temp extra driver incurs a £50 admin fee

So this year I went to Adrian Flux to see if they could better the combined Admiral quote of £2400 - reinstating the missus as a named driver on all cars and they came in at £1800
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              Now this is taking the piss.

Also with Admiral

Comment

I dont think Admiral are the only ins co to penalise you if you go on a SA course. Admiral are part of a group that includes Sheila's Wheels, Elephant (I think) and others and would expect them to have the same policy.
                Shelia's Wheels are part of the ESure group of brands.

Admiral include Bell and Elephant.

Admiral group brands are here linky

Esure brands are here linky

It's actually quite easy to find out the brand of companies for an insurer even if you have never had a contract with one of them, as they tend to have the same address or state somewhere in their website/literature what brand of company they fall under.

So yes, with these companies, SA course is the same as getting points and results in a premium increase.

That said, if you've been caught speeding, what difference should it make if you accept the points or go on an SA course? Going on the course doesnt mean you didnt get caught.

Im not sure they wouldnt find out due to the MIB \ DVLA tie up. You'd be driving around not knowing if \ when they found out and potentially invalidate your policy so, you'd be driving uninsured.

They actually can't find out if you don't declare it. Some people have managed to get on two courses even though they should have been given the points the second time, while others have been forced to go on two courses for the same points. So you have to keep your receipt if you go on one of those courses to prove you have been on it.

However personally because I had another issue with Admiral Group a long time ago I would never be insured by any of their brands again. When an insurer is much cheaper than the rest of your quotes there is a reason and that reason is either they are new to the market and trying to gain market share, or they have very poor customer service.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

An insurance broker on the QT told me not to mention any SAC or points provided they'd expired and although I don;t drive anymore (DMU!) I'd have no hesitation in not mentioning it if I did.

I might tho!

My transgressions:

34 in a 30 in Swansea (while working at DLVA - D'oh!)

81 in a 70 - A64 York to Leeds, Bilborough Top

34 in 30 in Leeds

All these have dropped off my record now and don't appear.

Still, can't complain, I used to drive from Bury to Prestatyn in the early 90's in my Audi 200 Quattro at 110mph all the way and never got caught. Then again, I knew I was risking it so I sold it and got a Citroen BX diesel, it would do 110mph but only if you made an appointment...

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    I used Admiral to insure the kids cars while they built up their NCB
                    Son No 2 has attended a SAC some years ago but has not been declared
                    He has also written off a vehicle avoiding another car some years ago- the only loss being to his vehicle this also has not been declared which is risky but afaik not traceable
                    Daughter had a no fault (police description) accident with a cyclist - no claim was made or matters arising but I informed Admiral ho then insisted in invoking their solicitors and car inspectors to perform a full analysis and incur £500 of their costs meaning daughter lost her NCB
                    Wife's car was backed into in a supermarket car park while she was shopping inside, according to Admiral this makes her a higher risk and they load for no fault accidents which would mean £50 per car should she remain as a named driver on their policies

So this year I went to Adrian Flux to see if they could better the combined Admiral quote of £2400 - reinstating the missus as a named driver on all cars and they came in at £1800
                    interesting. We're with admiral due to 3 cars plus added son to create his own NCB as a named driver which Admiral companies accept.

But, Im thinking of moving away from them due to their attitude to no fault accidents and effects on policy premium plus, they dont replace brand new for brand new if the car is written off in the first year. We've also removed 1 car so dont think the savings of 2 cars on a multi-policy would be that great.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X