• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling car dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling car dilemma

Got talking to colleagues at work about pros and cons of selling their car privately.

Conversation developed into one of would you disclose a known fault in with the car if not asked by a private buyer. This led to a number of scenarios;

1, advertise car for 'normal' value and dont disclose fault even if asked
    2, advertise car for 'normal' value and only disclose fault if asked
    3, advertise car and reduce price down because of fault but dont disclose it if asked or not
    4, advertise car and reduce price down because of fault and disclose fault to potential buyers

I went for option 4. No one went for option 1.

What would you do?

Oh, ask Andy's mum isnt an option!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

What is the fault?

Comment

4 - brutal honesty

But having to deal with the General Public, fookwittery & tyre kickers
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        4, advertise car and reduce price down because of fault and disclose fault to potential buyers

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          What is the fault?
          Just hypothetical. It could be wheel bearings, iffy clutch or oil consumption etc, something you 'knew' was wrong but joe public wouldnt.

Comment

Just hypothetical. It could be wheel bearings, iffy clutch or oil consumption etc, something you 'knew' was wrong but joe public wouldnt.
            If people don't get a proper survey first then f**k em.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              If people don't get a proper survey first then f**k em.
              Hmmm. I can understand the sentiment if you're selling a more expensive car but selling one under a grand I think would be a bit different.

Just my opinion though.

Comment

If the car is old then unless the person is a fool they can expect things wrong with it.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Chap in the office sold a dodgy car that kept cutting out on motorway to gipsy family, Another guy asked what would happen if the family died in an accident

Then they won't come back asking for a refund will they !!

Comment

I traded in one of the original Audi TTs after 3 years, hardly had a problem, new owner called me after 3 months saying it had been in the garage for 2 months, 4 different faults. I don't normally consider changing until a problem arises then I trade it in and it's the dealers problem.
                    Last edited by BigRed; 17 November 2015, 22:25.

Comment

Working...
                    X