• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Wrong Fuel?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wrong Fuel?

I was filling up with Diesel this morning and a BMW650i comes in. He fills his car with Go Faster super 97 octane, but surly if it’s a high performance engine running at high compression (10:1 and not 8:1) he should use a 95 octane that has a lower flash point?
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Originally posted by zeitghost
    It's the octane rating that matters with compression ratio...

Dunno what that does to the flashpoint, but a higher octane rating stops knock.
    Yes, only in low compression engines like a Toyota
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
      Yes, only in low compression engines like a Toyota
      I only use rocket fuel, because I designed my engine myself in collaboration with Lamborghini.

HTH

Th.....

Comment

I was filling up with Diesel this morning and a BMW650i comes in. He fills his car with Go Faster super 97 octane, but surly if it’s a high performance engine running at high compression (10:1 and not 8:1) he should use a 95 octane that has a lower flash point?
        Feck me!

Do you really, really, have you nothing better to worry about?

Perhaps you should have gone over and berated this BMW driver, at length, about his inappropriate choice of global-warmer juice

We all know that BM drivers are inadequate twats anyway - stuck in the '80s, talking deals into a cellphone that isn't even off-hook about yah yah stocks and yah yah, and loft appartments, natch.

Still. Not as bad as Volvo drivers. Saw "Mum-to-be on Board" little yelllow thing the other day, so I roared up behind her in my ancient and very loud old Landrover (a proper one - not a Chelsea tractor) in the hope of inducing a miscarriage while the silly tart was at the wheel.

Hufffffff!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
          Feck me!

Do you really, really, have you nothing better to worry about?

Perhaps you should have gone over and berated this BMW driver, at length, about his inappropriate choice of global-warmer juice

We all know that BM drivers are inadequate twats anyway - stuck in the '80s, talking deals into a cellphone that isn't even off-hook about yah yah stocks and yah yah, and loft appartments, natch.

Still. Not as bad as Volvo drivers. Saw "Mum-to-be on Board" little yelllow thing the other day, so I roared up behind her in my ancient and very loud old Landrover (a proper one - not a Chelsea tractor) in the hope of inducing a miscarriage while the silly tart was at the wheel.

Hufffffff!
          I was waiting for an opinion like yours, I just didn’t want to say it myself!

Comment

Modern engines often have ignition detectors of some kind that advance the spark timing automatically if they detect higher octane fuel. Not being a car-geek I don't know all the details or the terminology; but if installed this system means you can use 95, or 97, or even higher, and I believe the higher octane gives a slightly smoother sound and running.

Comment

The answer is herehttp://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuel/LRP.html

Comment

Excerpts from an article I wrote many years ago:

RON stands for Research Octane Number. It’s commonly referred to as octane. This is a benchmark index that the industry uses to determine conditions at which your engine will “knock” when using a fuel. Knocking, or pre-detonation, is the little “tink tink” sound from the engine you can hear when you floor the accelerator under low revs for instance. The higher the octane number, the less chance your engine will knock. Severe knocking in an engine can cause a great deal of damage and should be avoided.

RON and MON are standardised tests carried out in fuels testing labs using a specified set of conditions. They are carried out by running a single piston test engine on the point of knocking in a lab using some test fuel. RON is lab-rated under little engine stress conditions. MON is road-rated under a heavy, more realistic engine stress.

If the ECU cannot take advantage of the higher octane in the fuel, it will not be able to adjust the ignition timing and utilise the extra power benefits gained from a higher octane fuel. If your car engine is “knocking” under high acceleration using 95 RON fuel then using 97/98 RON fuel may reduce or stop the knocking.

hyperD in "threaded" mode
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Pinking is what we called it in my day. Knocking is what you did in a knocking shop.

Comment

Working...
                  X