• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Landlords delaying repairs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlords delaying repairs

Delaying in order to wait for new tax breaks...

Landlords delay repairs to maximise 'wear and tear' tax break | Money | The Guardian
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

It's almost like they are only in it for the money.....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      It's almost like they are only in it for the money.....
      Indeed filthy capitalists !
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

you say as if it's a bad thing

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          you say as if it's a bad thing

Mauve Monkey is a contractor and a renting activist who wants the government to put BTLers out of business so he can become homeless while the BTLers sell their homes to foreign investors, he can't see the Irony.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Mauve Monkey is a contractor and a renting activist who wants the government to put BTLers out of business so he can become homeless while the BTLers sell their homes to foreign investors, he can't see the Irony.
            I keep seeing this point about foreign investors. It sort of begs the question as to why they aren't snapping up crappy little places already, if they're so keen to buy the sort of places that are normally BTL.

Comment

You know I don't rent? I have a nice cosy patch of jungle I own. Still having rented, I know how bad it sucks. And yes I also have a venomous hatred of consecutive governments lack of swiftly capping BTL, before it got out of hand, and contributed to the crazy levels of HPI. As for foreign investors, tax them to hell and back.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

You know I don't rent? I have a nice cosy patch of jungle I own.
                Just as well.

Given your colour you wouldn't last five minutes in the real jungle
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylogin View Post
                  I keep seeing this point about foreign investors. It sort of begs the question as to why they aren't snapping up crappy little places already, if they're so keen to buy the sort of places that are normally BTL.
                  Foreign investors are just part of the problem, however the people desperate to buy a house are not necessarily the renters and the renters are not always best placed to buy.

Removing BTL Rental properties from the mix with an aggressive change and selling them either to corporate investors, overseas investors or couples living with their mums is hardly likely to make it easier for renters to find somewhere to rent. People MM don't understand this and thinks the BTL landlords will hand them out like smarties to poor people for a pittance.

I predict a significant rent rise either way.

Comment

Foreign investors are just part of the problem, however the people desperate to buy a house are not necessarily the renters and the renters are not always best placed to buy.

Removing BTL Rental properties from the mix with an aggressive change and selling them either to corporate investors, overseas investors or couples living with their mums is hardly likely to make it easier for renters to find somewhere to rent. People MM don't understand this and thinks the BTL landlords will hand them out like smarties to poor people for a pittance.

I predict a significant rent rise either way.
                    But whenever something is mentioned about reducing profits / making it harder for borrow to let landlords the repeated response is "foreign investors will buy all of the houses". Which is complete bollocks. If it were true they'd already be buying them.

Renters may not be able to buy the houses - how would they save up a deposit while paying the landlords mortgage? You assume that the houses will all sell quickly for high prices. That may be true. It may also be true that landlords will find they can't sell at that price if lots of previously let gaffs go up for sale at the same time.

As for rents going up and up - now that the government are cutting back on benefits you can't expect them to subsidise rents indefinitely, and you can't expect renters to magically have a wad of cash they're able to hand over. You might be able to squeeze some more blood out of some, but there will be a number who will simply say "we can't afford that", and the market won't be supported.

Comment

Working...
                    X