• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London is less safe than Europe - discuss

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London is less safe than Europe - discuss

It's not safer in the UK than in France, if that is what drives you. Especially in London.
    I chose to contract abroad last September. Don't want to risk my life and health.
    Last edited by Lola C; 18 November 2015, 20:35.

Originally posted by Lola C View Post
    It's not safer in the UK than in France, if it's what drives you. Especially in London.
    I chose to contract abroad last September. Don't want to risk my life and health.
    What do you mean by life and health when comparing UK and France ?
    Contracting from your UK Ltd ?

Comment

Originally posted by Clement View Post
      What do you mean by life and health when comparing UK and France ?
      Contracting from your UK Ltd ?
      S/he is being over dramatic.

Thanks to the IRA and the Real IRA London has had about 4 years where there was not a risk of bombs going off. While both groups gave coded warnings the warnings were often so coded that the bomb location couldn't be found. (Ealing bomb was in 2001 and then there was the bombing in 2005 with the Olympic games announcement.)

I am still amazed that we have clear plastic bin bags on the tube and train stations.

In other words if you live in London you need be aware of your surroundings and the people around you but mainly to stop being pick pocketed.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        S/he is being over dramatic.

Thanks to the IRA and the Real IRA London has had about 4 years where there was not a risk of bombs going off. While both groups gave coded warnings the warnings were often so coded that the bomb location couldn't be found. (Ealing bomb was in 2001 and then there was the bombing in 2005 with the Olympic games announcement.)

I am still amazed that we have clear plastic bin bags on the tube and train stations.

In other words if you live in London you need be aware of your surroundings and the people around you but mainly to stop being pick pocketed.
        Thanks to IRA? Really? So how come 7/7 has happened? And all the terror plots that get discovered (the ones we are informed of, and think how many of them for obvious reasons are NOT reported to the public). London is full of people belonging to the risk groups. I am afraid when I travel on the Tube, especially in the morning rush hour (which is in itself a horrible experience).

Anyways, it's the OP's choice. I am just saying....
        Last edited by Lola C; 18 November 2015, 20:04.

Comment

Thanks to IRA? Really? So how come 7/7 has happened? And all the terror plots that get covered discovered (the one we are informed of and think how many of them for obvious reasons are NOT reported to the public). London is full of people belonging to the risk groups. I am afraid when I travel on the Tube, especially in the morning rush hour (which is in itself a horrible experience).

You guys sayings are making think again ! I might be considering Switzerland ...

Comment

Originally posted by Clement View Post
            You guys sayings are making think again ! I might be considering Switzerland ...
            Better choice and DEFINITELY higher living standard. More boring maybe....

Comment

Thanks to IRA? Really? So how come 7/7 has happened? And all the terror plots that get covered discovered (the one we are informed of and think how many of them for obvious reasons are NOT reported to the public). London is full of people belonging to the risk groups. I am afraid when I travel on the Tube, especially in the morning rush hour (which is in itself a horrible experience).

As someone who was born and bred in London, London has always had bomb threats apart from about 4 years.

You stating not to come to London when the OP may end up working on the outskirts (where there are a lot of French people) or in the nearby Home Counties, depending on where they end up living is just scaremongering.

Comment

As someone who was born and bred in London, London has always had bomb threats apart from about 4 years.

You stating not to come to London when the OP may end up working on the outskirts (where there are a lot of French people) or in the nearby Home Counties, depending on where they end up living is just scaremongering.
                You basically saying that you are used to the terror threat. It doesnt make the things better though.
                He will have to travel on the Tube, won't he? Especially if he will live in the "outskirts" (and the poor guy will be spending half of his time commuting to and from work) and has to travel to the City/Docklands.

For you London is home, but for the OP is one of the options to consider, I suppose.

Comment

You basically saying that you are used to the terror threat. It doesnt make the things better though.
                  He will have to travel on the Tube, won't he? Especially if he will live in the "outskirts" (and the poor guy will be spending half of his time commuting to and from work) and has to travel to the City/Docklands.
                  No he doesn't.

Depending on what part of London you live in and where the client is located you may not have a tube station or even a train station. Lots of finance companies have moved their back offices from City/Docklands to save money on office costs.

Also some of the people I know and have worked with particularly the French people have cycle around London including Central London.

(Anyway one less contractor to compete with is always a bonus.)

Comment

No he doesn't.

Depending on what part of London you live in and where the client is located you may not have a tube station or even a train station. Lots of finance companies have moved their back offices from City/Docklands to save money on office costs.

Also some of the people I know and have worked with particularly the French people have cycle around London including Central London.

(Anyway one less contractor to compete with is always a bonus.)
                    You are right, he may not have to. I am talking about how probable it is that he will have to travel, which is in my opinion very probable. Then there is an aspect of a relatively low living standard in the UK/London, like poor housing, poor food quality, overcrowdedness etc. I just felt it was my duty to share an opinion, as i am from outside of the UK myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X