• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CRB Checks and banks (Again)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CRB Checks and banks (Again)

Hi fellas,
    Just had a recruitment consultant on the line regarding a job at Barclays that they want me to start on Monday (Permie , sorry).

I also have another offer on the table that I've verbally accepted. I really wanted the barca position but I have a criminal record from 14 years ago and somone on here said that the 'rehabilitation of offenders act' doesn't apply to banks and that they'd sack me the minute they did the checks.
    However the recruitment guy said that they do all the checks on me before they even offer me the position. I have a letter from the bank saying that they are offering me the job subject to a medical and credit check.

Anyone know the real answer here? If offences are 'spent' does it mean that they don't show on any checks or just that you don't have to declare them?

I thought it was only working with kids and stuff where offences aren't spent.

Thanks

....There are different things regarding checks...

1. Checks for security clearance for government roles etc, such as
    BC clearance (Voters role and reference check),
    CTC clearance (BC plus Counter Terrorist check)
    SC clearance (BC plus all criminal convictions),
    DV clearance (the full monty...)

Jobs that require security clearance are exempt from the rehab act, so you must, must declare everything.

2. Disclosure checks. These are for jobs in schools etc. They are
    Basic disclosure (checks for unspent convictions)
    Standard disclosure (checks for all convictions, spent or not
    Enhanced disclosure (checks same as standard, plus child protection etc)

Bear in mind any job involving contact with vulnerable peeps require enhanced! (Wife had to have enhanced as she is a teacher)

3. Jobs in banks etc. A check for working in a bank is usually a credit check. It may be required that you also need one of the disclosures(2). I would assume a basic disclosure, which would not show spent convictions. Bear in mind that only certain bodies, such as government, education, hospitals etc are allowed to ask exempted questions...I.E Only certain people can ask you if you have spent convictions. If they are not an approved body, you are legally entitled to state that you have no convictions (provided of course they are spent)
    Last edited by premiere; 11 October 2006, 21:50.

Comment

Useful information... can anyone advise if this is the same in other EU countries...? I had a CCJ for council tax and one for a gas bill at a house I was living away from while on contract... all paid up but banks are all sniffy about such things...
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
        Useful information... can anyone advise if this is the same in other EU countries...? I had a CCJ for council tax and one for a gas bill at a house I was living away from while on contract... all paid up but banks are all sniffy about such things...

You can't get a CCJ for Council Tax. It is a liability order from the Magistates Court.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

There are ways around these things (ahem....).

The only real legal way around a CCJ on your files is to settle within 28 days of judgement. You can then apply to have the judgement set aside, thus it will be removed from your credit records.

Otherwise it stays on your file for 6 years from the date of the judgement...and that's whether you've settled it or not (assuming you didn't within 28 days)

Comment

Odd, because that's what the letter said from Norwich County Council.... and then the County Court ... it was only two missed payments as welll...
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Ah well, 3 more years an im clear again then

Funny, it didn't stop me working at 3 banks and an Asset Management company in the meantime....
              Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Only 2 payments missed?

Last time I was benched, we missed 1 month at the beginning of the CT year and the council took us to court for the whole fecking years payment! Had to use my bl**dy credit card to pay it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by premiere
                  we missed 1 month at the beginning of the CT year and the council took us to court for the whole fecking years payment! Had to use my bl**dy credit card to pay it!!!
                  That's what they normally do in Brum - no warning no nothing, just whack in the face. And with all that it has got highest ratio of non-payments.

Comment

Are there any contractors without a murky past? (& I include myself in that!)
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X