• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in conjunction with wife

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in conjunction with wife

I'm sitting here mulling over options for post Autumn Statement/introduction of these proposed IR35 changes.

At present I am a Ltd company contractor. I split my dividend with my wife 50/50. She has recently started a business (8 months ish) and is working as a Sole Trader currently. Her turnover is increasing month on month. Our current projections are for her to hit roughly £40k turnover for the year. Her profit margins are around 35% of turnover (so we're not talking huge money but it's a good start, and still worthwhile receiving dividend income).

Anyway, it's been in my mind that it could be worthwhile incorporating her at some point in the future. Now I am thinking could I form a group of companies and could this potentially be a workaround for these changes? If her business was generating 25% - 30% of the groups total income, could that help do you think? Could I argue that the company's income isn't entirely earned by supplying personal services?

She's currently registered for VAT but her sales don't attract VAT so her returns are always nil, with a little claimed back on expenses. I'm on the flat rate scheme.

I'm going to run things through with my account after 25th but would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts - please point out any holes (or gaping chasms!) in my idea

You are just guessing. Why not just wait a bit until we know a little more. I doubt you accountant is up to speed with it all yet so won't know so why bother them?

There are going to be hundreds of 'my dog can fetch a ball, can I put him on the company to get round the rules' questions but we won't know until it hits and the right people have digested it.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 21 November 2015, 11:29.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gisajob View Post
      I'm sitting here mulling over options for post Autumn Statement/introduction of these proposed IR35 changes.

At present I am a Ltd company contractor. I split my dividend with my wife 50/50. She has recently started a business (8 months ish) and is working as a Sole Trader currently. Her turnover is increasing month on month. Our current projections are for her to hit roughly £40k turnover for the year. Her profit margins are around 35% of turnover (so we're not talking huge money but it's a good start, and still worthwhile receiving dividend income).

Anyway, it's been in my mind that it could be worthwhile incorporating her at some point in the future. Now I am thinking could I form a group of companies and could this potentially be a workaround for these changes? If her business was generating 25% - 30% of the groups total income, could that help do you think? Could I argue that the company's income isn't entirely earned by supplying personal services?

She's currently registered for VAT but her sales don't attract VAT so her returns are always nil, with a little claimed back on expenses. I'm on the flat rate scheme.

I'm going to run things through with my account after 25th but would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts - please point out any holes (or gaping chasms!) in my idea
      Wouldn't make a difference.

Your contract would be a stand alone relevant engagement for IR35 purposes and separate from her income and expenses regardless of whether or not you use same company or group.

Comment

Originally posted by JB3000 View Post
        Your contract would be a stand alone relevant engagement for IR35 purposes and separate from her income and expenses regardless of whether or not you use same company or group.
        Not necessarily.
        Could I argue that the company's income isn't entirely earned by supplying personal services?
        That's the part that could make a difference, depending on what they do next.

But as NLUK said, it only makes sense to wait until at least the Autumn statement to see what is going to happen.

Comment

Working...
        X