• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LPG

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LPG

Anyone use LPG for central heating?

Just wondered how it compares to oil. Does a litre of LPG go as far as a litre of oil?
    Last edited by Gumbo Robot; 21 November 2015, 22:54.

I live in a city so am hooked up to mains gas.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Calorific value innit

Typical calorific values of fuels
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        Calorific value innit

Typical calorific values of fuels
        Thanks. A property that I'm tempted to put an offer on has lpg.

Will have to dig a bit further. It seems that the tanks & controls are normally owned by the supplier & you get tied in. With oil you can shop around. Seems potentially an expensive option.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post

Will have to dig a bit further. It seems that the tanks & controls are normally owned by the supplier & you get tied in. With oil you can shop around. Seems potentially an expensive option.
          My Brother has LPG in his (large) property - his winter heating bills are horrendous - even with using a wood burner in the living main room
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I suspect it will also depend on the efficiency of your burner, and the hidden costs of LPG, such as transport/replacement bottles, plus any overhead in plumbing it in...

It's cheaper than petrol, that's all I know...
            Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

It wont help if you have a Mrs who thinks its freezing even when it's about 25 C and keeps the heating on 24 hours.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                It wont help if you have a Mrs who thinks its freezing even when it's about 25 C and keeps the heating on 24 hours.
                I do

Comment

I do
                  Who doesn't

My heating is sometimes on in summer too.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

As with so many things, it depends.

I'm on LPG and my heating bill is pretty enormous. Last 12 months has come in at about £2800!
                    However.
                    We are tied to one supplier for 2 years for reasons I won't go into and are currently paying about 9p per litre over the national average, which is a 25% hit. (Working on this)
                    The house is ******* gigantic too - 300m2 of floorspace with high ceilings.
                    There's an Aga happily burning gas 24/7 from about mid-November until end of February or later.
                    My wife is hyper-nesh and starts moaning about being "freezing" when the glass hits 19C.

Tanks and controls won't be yours which is a slight bonus - in our old property we were on Kerosene and I had to replace the tank and 25m of under-lawn pipework which really wasn't funny.

As with all things YMMV but for what it's worth; if it's on LPG it's probably a bloody nice gaff in a bloody nice place and if so, dude, the peace will be worth it. I always say moving here took 10 years off me.
                    I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Working...
                    X