• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should the Lords prayer be banned?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should the Lords prayer be banned?

Lord's Prayer cinema ad ban 'bewilders' Church of England - BBC News

In a statement, DCM said it had a policy of not accepting political or religious advertising content in its cinemas.

It said that "some advertisements - unintentionally or otherwise - could cause offence to those of differing political persuasions, as well as to those of differing faiths and indeed of no faith," and that "in this regard, DCM treats all political or religious beliefs equally".

I do hope some Muslims try to place an advert soon. I wonder if DCM have the balls to stand up to them? I always resented f4j protesting at churches - as they did not have the bottle to protest at a mosque.

Don't see why an advert is banned. We can always ignore it, as most do with 99.9% of all adverts. Can't be duller than one about toothpaste anyway.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I don't think it would make sense for f4j to scale a mosque. They abbey etc was chosen because it's prominent and iconic. Not because it was a religious place. Unless there were other incidents that occurred for different reasons.

Comment

and warned it could have a "chilling" effect on free speech.
        Lol. In a privately owned venue operated by a private enterprise.
        Funny ideas about 'free speech'.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Don't see why an advert is banned. We can always ignore it, as most do with 99.9% of all adverts. Can't be duller than one about toothpaste anyway.
          I don't know if it's banned per se. Sounds more like its just a business decision. Such an advert would make me enjoy my trip to the cinema less. If they think lots of people would think the same, then showing that advert would be bad for business.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
            I don't know if it's banned per se. Sounds more like its just a business decision. Such an advert would make me enjoy my trip to the cinema less. If they think lots of people would think the same, then showing that advert would be bad for business.
            Most of the adverts put me off going to the cinema.

Comment

Ban everything. People die.
              I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

"in this regard, DCM treats all political or religious beliefs equally".

The Reverend Arun Arora, director of communications for the Church of England, said: "We find that really astonishing, disappointing and rather bewildering.
                What a surprise, someone in a religious group finds treating all religious beliefs equal "astonishing, disappointing, and rather bewildering"!

Comment

No it should not be "banned". As others have pointed out it is probably less annoying than an advert for car insurance. And what is so wrong with the Church of England asking people to say a prayer.

This awful nonsense about Christianity, and other parts of British history and culture, being unable to speak their own names "in case it offends somebody" has done enormous damage to race relations in Britain over the last 20 years. It really is one of the most misguided tentacles of misguided multiculturalism.

Respecting other nations and cultures is not the same as having no respect for your own. Just as being nice to other people is not the same as having no self respect. In the end, self-loathing, like its cousin self-pity, is just another form of self obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                    No it should not be "banned". As others have pointed out it is probably less annoying than an advert for car insurance. And what is so wrong with the Church of England asking people to say a prayer.

This awful nonsense about Christianity, and other parts of British history and culture, being unable to speak their own names "in case it offends somebody" has done enormous damage to race relations in Britain over the last 20 years. It really is one of the most misguided tentacles of misguided multiculturalism.

Respecting other nations and cultures is not the same as having no respect for your own. Just as being nice to other people is not the same as having no self respect. In the end, self-loathing, like its cousin self-pity, is just another form of self obsession.
                    You'll change your tune when a group that practices the rites of the ancient Britons is allowed to show their prayer consisting of three hours of demented banshee wailing while dancing naked covered in woad before the latest Pixar flick.

Comment

Working...
                    X