• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Building Regs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building Regs

I can't believe the number of bits of paper you need to have to cover the most trivial thing when you're selling up.

I can understand why there should be mechanisms in place to stop amateurs installing gas central heating but needing building regs for fitting a replacement window?

It's £120 a pop round here for building regs. It's also very telling that all these regulations seem to have come in post 2002

Edit: It gets scarier. Looking through the list I have in front of me it seems you need building regs even for putting up/ taking down a stud partition Yes, I should have been more diligent & I've got the paperwork for all the other stuff I've had done but there are some things that seem so trivial you don't even bother thinking about building regs.

Hopefully I can get some indemnity insurance to cover this....
    Last edited by Gumbo Robot; 22 November 2015, 20:45.

Originally posted by zeitghost
    You did apply for planning permission before you changed the wallpaper, didn't you?
    Do you get wallpaper in a cardboard box?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      You did apply for planning permission before you changed the wallpaper, didn't you?
      Nope.

I put in a new internal doorway and the local regs say it has to be self closing ( to stop a fire spreading)

This is an 18C cottage not a frikkin' old peoples home FFS!

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
        Edit: It gets scarier. Looking through the list I have in front of me it seems you need building regs even for putting up/ taking down a stud partition
        If you have put it up and taken it back down, whats the problem
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Nope.

I put in a new internal doorway and the local regs say it has to be self closing ( to stop a fire spreading)

I thought they'd back-tracked on that particular rule, some friends converted their loft and had to do the same thing. Seems daft new houses have to do this but old ones do not have to be retrofitted - or even that their existing doors didn't have to be retrofitted at the same time!

Maybe the rules are still in place and they just took all the chains out as soon as it passed!
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Nope.

Welcome to New Labour's nanny state. Now, have you gained permission to take a dump ?
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

[QUOTE=Gumbo Robot;2172067] It's £120 a pop round here for building regs. QUOTE]

That’s cheap – I just got a fee for £15k!
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
              X