• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shandy drinking lightweights...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shandy drinking lightweights...

"A sailor drank half a litre of rum before a cargo vessel travelling at speed crashed into the west coast of Scotland.

A 36-year-old Russian was on watch duty under the influence of alcohol when the Lysblink Seaways ran aground near Kilchoan, West Scotland, a report by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) has found.

He drank the rum while off duty having received a telephone call which had caused him anxiety, the report states. "

Russian sailor drank half a litre of rum before 7,000-ton ship crashed into Scottish coast - Telegraph

Originally posted by AtW View Post

a cargo vessel travelling at speed
    I think their idea of speed and mine are a little out of kilter.
    "The coastline just came at me out of nowhere!"

Just how hammered do you have to be to not see Scotland coming at you at about 10 knots?
    I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

That's the cool thing about ships as opposed to things like cars or planes. A car just crashes into something like a bus shelter, a plane just crashes into a field; but with a ship, you can crash into the entire west coast of Scotland!

Comment

Some might wonder why a Russian is drinking rum. It's just vodka with a bit of Juniper berries in it apparently.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Some might wonder why a Russian is drinking rum. It's just vodka with a bit of Juniper berries in it apparently.
          Cos he's a jolly jack tar Matros!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            That's the cool thing about ships as opposed to things like cars or planes. A car just crashes into something like a bus shelter, a plane just crashes into a field; but with a ship, you can crash into the entire west coast of Scotland!
            Or a Tuscan island

Costa Concordia captain Schettino guilty of manslaughter - BBC News

Though not drink involved here. Just trying to impress a couple of t4rts.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Or a Tuscan island

Costa Concordia captain Schettino guilty of manslaughter - BBC News

Though not drink involved here. Just trying to impress a couple of t4rts.
              Same essential principle: when faced with something as big as a coast, you need a ship to be able to crash into it

Comment

It's OK, they've got a Submarine in the area they can use to pull it free of the rocks.
                Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Working...
                X