• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chancellor’s contractor cash grab will cost UK £16.6bn, warns Danbro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chancellor’s contractor cash grab will cost UK £16.6bn, warns Danbro

I wonder if Osborne will read this?

Clickety Click
    I'm a smug bastard.

"The Government is planning to scrap tax relief on travel expenses for Britain’s army of contractors in a move that will cost each freelancer an average of £200 a week – totalling £16.6bn a year for the UK’s 1.6m contractors."

rate + expenses = cost to client

That's how I've always charged my clients, that's how I will continue. Any contractor claiming they assume the cost of travel themselves is not a real freelancer but a permie.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

How come it only raises £265m for the Treasury but costs contractors £16.6bn? Who's getting the rest?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        How come it only raises £265m for the Treasury but costs contractors £16.6bn? Who's getting the rest?
        Media cartels click-bate frenzy.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Shush, don't question the "facts"

A survey conducted by Danbro found just 25 per cent of freelancers would take on a contract without tax relief expenses from April.
          Bollocks they wouldn't.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Presumably the folk those expenses are paid out to....
            I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
              Presumably the folk those expenses are paid out to....
              Exactly, so certain places, in the UK, will become basket cases, in the terms of technology, due to not being able to engage skilled staff.

Business's, in that area, lose out on all the income generated by the Monday to Friday travelling, contractor, crew.

The mans a genius I tell you .

I wonder how this all fits in with the Northern Powerhouse plans, oh, hang on....
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Exactly, so certain places, in the UK, will become basket cases, in the terms of technology, due to not being able to engage skilled staff.

Business's, in that area, lose out on all the income generated by the Monday to Friday travelling, contractor, crew.
                It doesn't mention pie shops, Travelodges or brothels. It says it'll cost contractors £200 p.w. on average. And contractors will still need pie shops, Travelodges and brothels when they realise that they can still earn more contracting even after the changes.

I call bollocks on that article.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It doesn't mention pie shops, Travelodges or brothels. It says it'll cost contractors £200 p.w. on average. And contractors will still need pie shops, Travelodges and brothels when they realise that they can still earn more contracting even after the changes.

I call bollocks on that article.
                  I have never stayed away because I have a young family, so your telling me if I am a Mon-Fri contractor away I get to eat pies, sleep in a TravelLodge and... err.?

Comment

“This is putting the UK’s recovery at risk and I fear the Chancellor is sleepwalking into a potential catastrophe simply because he’s seen a quick way to grab some extra tax.”

I think they miss the point. This is not about money. It is about ideology. We are seen as glorified typists. We are seen as tax evading scum. As opposed to flexible dynamic resources.

Comment

Working...
                    X