• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

George, you gone done messed up :)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George, you gone done messed up :)

"One of the criticisms of George Osborne as chancellor is that he can be too clever by half, that some of his political schemes are so devious that they can backfire. For anyone advancing this theory, the welfare cap now looks like an ideal example.

Osborne announced a welfare cap, a cap on the overall amount the government can spend on certain welfare payments, in the budget of 2014. It is not the same as the benefits cap, the cap on the amount of benefits that an out-of-work family can receive (originally £26,000, but now being cut to £20,000 for families outside London.) The benefits cap proved remarkably popular with voters, and so Osborne decided to apply the same principle to overall welfare spending. At the time it was perceived primarily as a trap for Labour; Osborne was hoping that the opposition would vote against, thus allowing him to depict them as profligate with welfare spending. In the event this ploy failed, because Ed Miliband and Ed Balls decided their party should vote in favour of the welfare cap, and the issue quickly dropped out of the political headlines.

As a restraint on government the welfare cap was always relatively ineffective because, under Osborne’s proposal, any government could break i and spend more if it wanted to. But it would have to go to the Commons to win approval in a vote. Osborne argued that this would prove embarrassing, and that the unappetising prospect of having to ask MPs to vote for extra welfare spending would act as a deterrent.

In the debate on the welfare cap in March 2014, he said that breaching the welfare cap would be “a failure of public expenditure control”. Any chancellor taking this step would have to admit that what they really want is “higher welfare bills”, he said.

The charter makes clear what will happen if the welfare cap is breached. The chancellor must come to Parliament, account for the failure of public expenditure control, and set out the action that will be taken to address the breach ...

The welfare cap brings responsibility, accountability and fairness. Those who want to undo our welfare reforms will now have to tell us about the other cuts that they will make, or else come clean and admit to the public that what they really want are higher welfare bills ..

From now on, any government who want to spend more on welfare will have to be honest with the public—honest about the costs—and secure the approval of Parliament in order to breach the cap.

Expect those words to be flung back at Osborne this afternoon. Now it seems that he is going to have to go to parliament himself and admit that he’s the one asking for “higher welfare bills” because he’s failed to meet his own spending targets."

I just think he has a gay haircut and needs a punch too.
    I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Do you often link feelings of violence and homophobic thoughts?

And obviously this is the best one to use:
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
        Expect those words to be flung back at Osborne this afternoon. Now it seems that he is going to have to go to parliament himself and admit that he’s the one asking for “higher welfare bills” because he’s failed to meet his own spending targets."
        Why?

He described QE as "the last resort of desperate governments" and got away with printing the money anyway, so why should a mere trifle like this stand in the way of the march to number 10?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Why?

He described QE as "the last resort of desperate governments" and got away with printing the money anyway, so why should a mere trifle like this stand in the way of the march to number 10?
          Well if he stiffs the freelancer world, we have to remember, to a person not to vote Tory again. And send him the reasons why

Comment

From BBC interviews

BBC

Economist Vicky Price says she doesn't think George Osborne will be able to achieve his £10bn suprlus by 2020, and predicts he will reduce it to a "more realistic" level. She tells the BBC the economy is "slowing down", which will affect growth forecasts.

Political economy professor Richard Murphy says the chancellor has an "appalling" track record in forecasting.
            "If he repeats the errors he made in 2010" he'll end up with a £40bn deficit, he adds. His track record on this is dire and it is because he makes the wrong assumptions on this all the time. He assumes that cuts will grow the economy and all the evidence is that cuts shrink the economy."
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
              I just think he has a gay haircut and needs a punch too.
              Just one punch?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Just one punch?
                Donkey Punch?
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
                  Well if he stiffs the freelancer world, we have to remember, to a person not to vote Tory again.
                  Why? If a party ever does anything you don't like, you never vote for them again? It wouldn't take long until you had no parties left. You should take each government on it's own merits (if you can find any) not operate some sort of feud.

Of course until Osborne is out of power, it makes sense not to vote Tory.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Why? If a party ever does anything you don't like, you never vote for them again? It wouldn't take long until you had no parties left. You should take each government on it's own merits (if you can find any) not operate some sort of feud.

Of course until Osborne is out of power, it makes sense not to vote Tory.
                    Why not? I was disappointed with the Lib Dems favoring AV over Tuition Fees as coalition red line so refused to vote for them instead I voted for the current shower of... I will have to go back to voting for the Lib Dems. Unless Labour buck up their ideas.
                    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Working...
                    X