• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Autumn Statement 25 November 2015 - reaction/thoughts/rants/

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autumn Statement 25 November 2015 - reaction/thoughts/rants/

There is at least one thread on this in the "Future of Contracting" section and this one is for anything that appears to have an immediate or short term impact.

I have no particular insights or contacts who might spill the beans as to what we might see but a few thoughts have crossed my mind.

Extension of APN to non DOTAS schemes (lots of ways to do this)

Extension of discovery powers

Retrospective law to "correct" or "clarify" some issues arising from Murray Group (ability to transfer PAYE liability?)

Try not to swear too much please.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    Retrospective law to "correct" or "clarify" some issues arising from Murray Group (ability to transfer PAYE liability?)
    That would be really
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
      That would be really
      HMRC has history here though

(No, me neither).

Comment

Interesting that if the Government changes contracting altogether then I reckon there will be a lot of defaulting on APN's/CLSO agreements on TTP.....

"Extension of APN to non DOTAS schemes (lots of ways to do this)" - was always going to be on the cards. Hoover up all non DOTAS with APNs.
        Last edited by bluemonkey71; 25 November 2015, 11:53.

Comment

Sound bite

"Action on disguised remuneration schemes".

Doesn't sound good.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by bluemonkey71 View Post

"Extension of APN to non DOTAS schemes (lots of ways to do this)" - was always going to be on the cards. Hoover up all non DOTAS with APNs.
            Personally I would rather this happen. Having been involved and caught up in both DOTAS and NON-DOTAS schemes. I would rather know my fate and liability now, rather than deal with DOTAS now and NON-DOTAS in say 2 years time. Rather put it to bed and be able to make an informed decision, instead of dragging this out any longer !!
            STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Sound bite

"Action on disguised remuneration schemes".

Doesn't sound good.
              "Today we go further with new penalties for the General Anti-Abuse Rule we introduced, action on disguised remuneration schemes and stamp duty avoidance, and we will stop abuse of the intangible fixed assets regime and capital allowances."

Whatever this means.
              Fight back - Join the Big Group Campaign

Comment

Originally posted by carling View Post
                "Today we go further with new penalties for the General Anti-Abuse Rule we introduced, action on disguised remuneration schemes and stamp duty avoidance, and we will stop abuse of the intangible fixed assets regime and capital allowances."

Whatever this means.
                New penalties? As if APNs and raiding bank accounts are not enough.

Comment

3.87 Disguised remuneration – The government intends to take action against those who
                  have used or continue to use disguised remuneration schemes and who have not yet paid their
                  fair share of tax. The government will also consider legislating in a future Finance Bill to close
                  down any further new schemes intended to avoid tax on earned income, where necessary, with
                  effect from 25 November 2015.

From Treasury Blue Book today

(No, me neither).

Comment

The government will also consider legislating in a future Finance Bill ... with
                    effect from 25 November 2015.
                    I read that as "in (say) 10 years time a government can make up some new laws and back date them to today"

Comment

Working...
                    X