• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another ridiculous contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another ridiculous contract

I started a three months contract two weeks ago. I was asked to start the work and was told the paper work would be done in due course. I received the contract on the day I started the work. When I went through the document (more than 15 pages), it had a condition which stated that the payment cycle is 4 weeks and the first payment will be made after 6 weeks after the submission of first timesheet, and thereafter every 4 weeks. It also stated that in case contract is terminated within first four weeks, they would not pay any amount to the contractor and take the four weeks payment as compensation for the "losses" to the agency. Another condition stated that once I started the work, it would mean that I have accepted the conditions.

Hopefully, I may not have any issues as the client seems to be good, and my work will go beyond 4 weeks.

Anyone heard any conditions like this?
    Last edited by Abraham; 28 November 2015, 20:02.

The 4 weeks payment terms aren't too unusual
    But...
    Originally posted by Abraham View Post
    in case contract is terminated within first four weeks, they would not pay any amount to the contractor and take the four weeks payment as compensation for the "losses" to the agency.
    ...Seriously??
    That is major, major BS!
    You work, they should pay you for the time worked, period.
    What's the agency? This is name and shame worthy...
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

I started a three months contract two weeks ago. I was asked to start the work and was told the paper work would be done in due course. I received the contract on the day I started the work. When I went through the document (more than 15 pages), it had a condition which stated that the payment cycle is 4 weeks and the first payment will be made after 6 weeks after the submission of first timesheet, and thereafter every 4 weeks. It also stated that in case contract is terminated within first four weeks, they would not pay any amount to the contractor and take the four weeks payment as compensation for the "losses" to the agency. Another condition stated that once I started the work, it would mean that I have accepted the conditions.

Hopefully, I may not have any issues as the client seems to be good, and my work will go beyond 4 weeks.

Anyone heard any conditions like this?
      Then take this as a lesson learned NOT to turn up for work before you've read and checked out the contract.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Nope.

Completely unacceptable.

They should only be able to claim for losses incurred and they won't have lost 4 weeks money.

In future NEVER turn up on site until ALL the paperwork is finalised.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
          The 4 weeks payment terms aren't too unusual
          But...

...Seriously??
          That is major, major BS!
          You work, they should pay you for the time worked, period.
          What's the agency? This is name and shame worthy...
          The contract says the termination could happen if the client decided that they no longer needed the contractor. It appears the agency wants to recover the "losses" from the contractor, even if the termination happened because of client's situation and not due to any fault of the contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Nope.

Completely unacceptable.

They should only be able to claim for losses incurred and they won't have lost 4 weeks money.

In future NEVER turn up on site until ALL the paperwork is finalised.
            I agree. The agency tricked me into this situation. Initially, it sent an email about the offer and the start date. Then I cancelled all my other pending interviews and stopped applying for any new roles. The agency then asked me to submit all my company documents, passport copy, etc., to prepare the contract. By the time the work started, I think I have already got myself tied into the contract. Then came the contract with these ridiculous conditions. I requested the agency to change the conditions, they didn't agree.

Comment

The contract says the termination could happen if the client decided that they no longer needed the contractor. It appears the agency wants to recover the "losses" from the contractor, even if the termination happened because of client's situation and not due to any fault of the contractor.
              While you agreed the contract, if that happened I would strongly suggest you take the agency to court.

(I suggest you get a voice recorder app on your mobile and ensure it works at all times. That way if you are removed you can ask why and get it recorded.)

Also while you can put any terms you like in a contract if they are completely unreasonable they are not necessarily enforceable in a court of law.

Of course even if you did win your case the judge would tell you of for being an idiot.

Comment

Then I cancelled all my other pending interviews and stopped applying for any new roles.
                That's your lesson no.2 right here.
                Until you have got a signed contract, that you are happy with, in hand, consider you don't have the gig.
                Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

I agree. The agency tricked me into this situation. Initially, it sent an email about the offer and the start date. Then I cancelled all my other pending interviews and stopped applying for any new roles. The agency then asked me to submit all my company documents, passport copy, etc., to prepare the contract. By the time the work started, I think I have already got myself tied into the contract. Then came the contract with these ridiculous conditions. I requested the agency to change the conditions, they didn't agree.
                  In future:
                  1. Don't turn up on site until all the paperwork is agreed
                  2. Don't cancel other interviews until all the paperwork is agreed
                  3. Get all paperwork reviewed by somebody legally trained before agreeing it
                  4. If you agree the contract and the agency NOT the client gives you more paperwork to sign after you have been on site refuse to sign it.

Comment

Every time some idiot falls for contracts like this and that other guy with the 13 weeks wages it just makes it a little bit harder for the rest of us that do have a clue and give a crap about what we do.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X