• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This is a bit sad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a bit sad

Blackouts: A writer reflects on the drunken blackouts that stole huge chunks of her 20s and 30s | Daily Mail Online

'How did I end up in a stranger’s bed?': A writer reflects on the drunken blackouts that stole huge chunks of her 20s and 30s

I’m in Paris for work, which is exactly as great as it sounds. I eat dinner at a fancy restaurant and drink cognac — the booze of kings and rap stars.

Somewhere near midnight, I tumble into a cab with my friend and the night starts to stutter and skip. How did we get back so fast?

I walk through the front door of my hotel alone. I exchange a few pleasantries with the concierge, a bit of theatre to prove I’m not too drunk.

The last thing I hear is my heels, steady as a metronome, echoing through the lobby. And then there is nothing.

This happens to me sometimes; a curtain falling in the middle of the act, leaving minutes and sometimes hours in the dark. But anyone watching me wouldn’t notice.

I don’t know how much time I lose in this darkness or what takes place. When the curtain lifts again, this is what I see: there is a bed.

The lights are low. Sheets are wrapped around my ankles. I’m on top of a man I’ve never seen before, and we’re having sex.

Can this be right? It’s as if the universe dropped me into someone else’s body. I wonder if I should be worried, but I’m not.

I don’t mean to suggest I’m brave. I mean to suggest that you could break a piece of plywood over my head and I would smile, nod and keep going.

The guy isn’t bad-looking.

‘You really know how to wear a guy out,’ he says.

It seems unfair that he should know me and I don’t know him, but I’m unsure of the etiquette.

‘I should go,’ I tell him.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

When men are in a blackout, they do things to the world. When women are in a blackout, things are done to them.
    Personally, I find the whole concept of waking up and not remembering what you did the night before very disturbing.

I'm sure quite a few of us have been there though.

Comment

Oh she's still trying to pedal her book around. It was mentioned in some the other papers last year.

Anyway the long and short of it is she is an alcoholic.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Oh she's still trying to pedal her book around. It was mentioned in some the other papers last year.

Anyway the long and short of it is she is an alcoholic.
        I thought I'd read that quote somewhere else...

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
          I thought I'd read that quote somewhere else...
          You have a few times.

The Mail is a bit late on this one.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

When I was a teenager I had a blackout at a party, through drink. Apparently I was quite coherent and behaving relatively normally. I just have no recollection of what I did. One moment I was in the garden, then next, I was sitting on the sofa, having lost about 2 hours.

It happened a few times after that I've had to piece together what happened the night before, but never an actual blackout since.

I stopped drinking heavily quite a while ago and hope I never get into the habit again.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
            X