• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stop speaking at work? Any suggestion?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop speaking at work? Any suggestion?

Last edited by Daywalker; 11 March 2007, 11:06.

Has it occurred to you he may be deaf and/or a mute.

You heartless b@stard, trying to get a disabled person fired!!! Shame on you!!!

Alternatively, you may be working with AtW, who sits around all day posting tulipe on here and actually has no life.(Yawn)
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

sounds like you're not missing much

Originally posted by Daywalker
      I have this situation in work which I find quite extraordinary. I work in 4 person team, and sit in my own office with one guy. We became pretty friendly since he started in March. He is a contractor like me and contracts through the same supply department but via a different company than mine.

3 weeks ago we were short staffed, bosses on training and another guy off on holidays. 3 people left, one of these was doing paperwork and research for a procurment order which had to be submitted that morning.

The guy was sitting an exam at the end of the week and had fallen into a rut of doing not much during the day but studying. So I was doing all the work, covering for the other two people off, it started getting busy and I asked this guy to help me with something, he rolled his eyes and I explained that he can't sit there all day and do nothing and expect me to do the work, not aggressively or personal.

He hasnt spoke in 3 weeks, not a word. It doesn't bother me, more so because I transfer in 2 weeks, but I have become amazed at his attitude. He represents a company, works in a 2 man team and doesn't speak.

I informed my immediate boss last week and absolutely nothing has changed, I am quite sure I have the power to sink him, any suggestions?

I have contemplated putting him through the wall, it is still an option!
      Jesus, it would be nice if everbody in here didn't speak, they keep me awake sometimes, tchah!
      Why not?

Comment

He hasnt spoke in 3 weeks, not a word. It doesn't bother me, more so because I transfer in 2 weeks, but I have become amazed at his attitude. He represents a company, works in a 2 man team and doesn't speak.

I informed my immediate boss last week and absolutely nothing has changed, I am quite sure I have the power to sink him, any suggestions?

I have contemplated putting him through the wall, it is still an option!
        Is there a mandatory requirement that people have to speak at work? I prefer just to do my job instead of engaging all day in useless chit-chats. Indeed, if many people could shut up instead of talking b0ll0x all day and flirting with the only woman in the IT department, and just have a life outside work the office would be a more bearable place. Try the requests in a more professional way and leave the talkie talkie attitude outside work, pls.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Get him done, he's thieving so deserves it.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
            Get him done, he's thieving so deserves it.
            Maybe he is Robin Hood, in which case theft is okay.

Comment

He is representing a company and I am sure if they knew he would be gone.
              Problem solved then!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Yes comminication skills are necessary, missing the point Francko. As i said don't care if he doesn't speak or never speaks. It is necessary in our job, maybe not yours.

The fact is he was fine up until three weeks ago and I don't believe contactors should be micromanaged (hate this word). You come in do the job, go home that's it. He isn't. He is representing a company and I am sure if they knew he would be gone.
                Communication skills for what work is concerned. Not about how he spent the weekend or what car he is going to buy next. For the rest, if there is nothing to say and he doesn't like you I cannot see why he has to talk to you. I would charge extra for that. I normally cut down all the unnecessary communication with people I am not friend with, as this is hypocritical and in essence just a waste of time (why do I have to ask you how you spent the weekend if I don't care). Since I started doing that I have found I am way more productive. Surely some people will not appreciate that, other will but I don't want to work with people who base their value on relationships and low-level chit-chats. I am generally seeing that in the UK the culture of excessive talk at work/drinks in the pub at lunch time for the so-called "social event" is luckily going down the hill too. Soon we will be assimilated to the germans and german will be the main language. England will be annexed to the continent by having thousands of french and german weightlifters pulling it over to the euro coast. Britain is doomed, doomed, ah ah ah ah
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Dont get much chance here. As soon as you start to get to know anyone they move you. I thought it was my usual BO problem but they seem to do it to everyone.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

You're lucky, I sit opposite a guy who never shuts up - I just ignore him now!
                    Only the mediocre are ever at their best

Comment

Working...
                    X