• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses - Yay or Nay?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses - Yay or Nay?

I bought a bici through my ltd a couple of years ago - all legal & above board according to my accountant.

I've been claiming expenses like services etc so, just a quick question, do you think lights are expensible? I cycled in the other morning, got to work & realised I'd left my front light at home so I had to pop into Halfords to get a cheap one to get me home (£39.99 )

And, this may be pushing the boat out a bit but I'm also thinking of attaching a cabin fairing for the winter months to shield me from the elements & give me a bit of streamlining.

Would this be taking the Michael?

If it's wholly for business use then I don't see why not.

After all, you can claim mileage on a bicycle.
    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
      to shield me from the elements & give me a bit of streamlining.
      I have the exact same idea. It's called driving a car. HTH.
      Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
      "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
        I bought a bici through my ltd a couple of years ago - all legal & above board according to my accountant.
        Do they last for years? I've always found that dunking them in my tea means they disintegrate rapidly, especially Rich Tea bicies.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Can you imagine what it would be like to be passed by an artic when riding a bike with a great sail like that?

Comment

Looks pukka.

Go for it.

HTH.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

EIM21664 - Particular benefits: exemption for bicycles

Tl;DR: Yes.

I also expense all my cycling gear as it's all reflective, and therefore safety gear.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                EIM21664 - Particular benefits: exemption for bicycles

Tl;DR: Yes.

I also expense all my cycling gear as it's all reflective, and therefore safety gear.
                Excellent stuff. Off to the local cycle shop for a spend up then!

Comment

Got me cabin fairing fitted & took it for a test run into work this morning.

As I pulled up at the traffic lights by the Happy Landings the driving bass of Tom Browne's Jamaica funk at full volume was making the side walls of the fairing visibly reverberate. Then a busload of student nurses all went past & all turned their heads in unison to get a view of yours truly peering over the top of my nosecone.

What a pose!

Stuck to the roads today but will be interesting to see how I fair on the sections of the journey where I choose to use the pavement instead as I think the extra bodywork will mean I need a bit more real estate.

Prams, Pushchairs, dogs - make way please
                  Last edited by Martin Scroatman; 8 December 2015, 13:31.

Comment

Pics?

FTFY

Then a busload of student nurses all went past & all turned their heads in unison to get a view of yours truly looking like a total twunt.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X