• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving notice on contract - any particular wording I should use?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving notice on contract - any particular wording I should use?

Hi CUK,

I need to give early notice on my current contract and wondered if there was anything formal/legal I need to include.

Do I give it to the agent, client or both?

Will email suffice?

Would this do?: 'Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause but in accordance with the terms and conditions expressed in out contract, I need to give 4 weeks notice with immediate effect'.

thanks

Looks OK. Would you like us to hold your hand while you do it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jamtoday View Post
      Hi CUK,

I need to give early notice on my current contract and wondered if there was anything formal/legal I need to include.

Do I give it to the agent, client or both?

Will email suffice?

Would this do?: 'Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause but in accordance with the terms and conditions expressed in out contract, I need to give 4 weeks notice with immediate effect'.

thanks

1. Agent only. Your contract is with them
      2. No need to apologize.

"In accordance with the terms and conditions of my contract I wish to give you 4 weeks notice of termination, effective today. My final day of work on this contract will be Tuesday 29th December." (that's the nearest working day to 4 weeks from today)

It's always good to put in the date you mean as your last working day, saves confusion, or a risk that the agent and client discuss one date when you mean another, so they decide to get you for breach of contract.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Thanks WTF

Comment

Originally posted by jamtoday View Post
          Thanks WTF
          Thanks What The Feck?

Comment

There may be terms in the contract as to how notices relating to it should be delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Thanks What The Feck?

I think he was just being friendly and not using my surname.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Looks OK. Would you like us to hold your hand while you do it?
                He's a new contractor and giving notice and asking for a bit of advice, isn't that what this thing is for? God give a the a guy a break.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
                  He's a new contractor and giving notice and asking for a bit of advice, isn't that what this thing is for? God give a the a guy a break.
                  +1. If people don't want to read posts on questions regarding contracting issues then w.o.e. are they doing here ?

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
                    Go easy..

He's just hitting out now that he's Lucid Dementia's bitch

Comment

Working...
                    X