• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Xmas present for geeky 13 yr old?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xmas present for geeky 13 yr old?

I have a nephew, almost 13 and already studying at A level maths (ok not a prodigy but pretty clever). I think he has a raspberry pi. I was wondering if there are any useful other presents that that this group would recommend with a software development focus? Something interesting, useful, fun?

I'm a non-technical PM/business change manager. To give you an idea of how ignorant I am, in my first graduate job I was taught PL1 and I wrote some JCL and I was useless at it so I ran away to non-IT roles. I am clueless about what the current hot areas are. Any ideas? Where would you start?

Originally posted by Casablanca View Post
    I have a nephew, almost 13 and already studying at A level maths (ok not a prodigy but pretty clever). I think he has a raspberry pi. I was wondering if there are any useful other presents that that this group would recommend with a software development focus? Something interesting, useful, fun?

I'm a non-technical PM/business change manager. To give you an idea of how ignorant I am, in my first graduate job I was taught PL1 and I wrote some JCL and I was useless at it so I ran away to non-IT roles. I am clueless about what the current hot areas are. Any ideas? Where would you start?
    Buy him a 3d printer.

10 best 3D printers 2015 | TechRadar

Comment

What's your budget?

At that age, a year's subscription to Hustler.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Software Development... the future skill as approved by HMG......Rosetta Stone® - Effective Language Learning

Comment

Get him a hover/segway board and let him enjoy himself while he can.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

WNLUK said

Get him 2 nerf guns and a load of ammo.

Assuming he has friends, its great fun.
            If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Is Lego Mindstorm or whatever it's called still around? Mindstorm sounds a bit un-PC...

Or a kit to build a programmable toy car? Those have been around for years and I imagine these days can do pretty cool stuff.

Some stuff he could use WITH his Pi could be an idea too.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

thanks all

Thanks for all responses. 3D printers sadly out of price range but very cool - how long before every home has one?

Yes some gear to use with the Pi is probably best bet or programmable car.

And in the answer to the questions, he has lots of friends and nerf guns/ammo, and is highly musical playing in orchestras with much older children for a few years now. He does all the extra maths for fun and is just dead bright and into techy/science stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Casablanca View Post
                  I am clueless about what the current hot areas are. Any ideas? Where would you start?
                  Tell him to ditch all that useless technology stuff .

Managing offshore teams is the current hot area in IT, now.

He does all the extra maths for fun
                  I thought you wanted us to like this guy

HTH

BIDI
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If he does extra maths for fun, I refer you to my earlier suggestion.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X