• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am i really inside Ir35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am i really inside Ir35

Hi

New to the forum.

Last april I quit my permie job and was offered a decent rate to stay on as a contractor - I used to be a contractor in the early 2000's and always fancied getting back into it, so I jumped at the chance when my new role kind of fell through.

I phoned up an agency and they took me on for a 5% fee, all has been well and i have just had an offer to stay for another 6 months but on the condition that I ditch the agency as my company has had all sorts of problems with them.

So I'm thinking of going direct to the client and will get the 5% fee back in my pocket - I always assumed because I worked as a permie for the same company in the same role that I'm always going to be inside IR35 - however I have heard some advice that going direct could get me away from this.

What are my chances of getting out of this IR35 zone if I go direct to client?

Much Love

R.

None, if it is the same duties and engager as your previous perm / contract role.
    Going direct won't make any difference.

This what IR35 was originally "designed" to prevent.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If you have to ask if you are inside IR35 you probably are

Yes, Friday to Monday contractor which was what the whole thing was designed for. There is a little wiggle room about doing completely a different role and being treated like all the other contractors but IMO it's highly likely you'll be in the same area'ish so part and parcel. You'll still think like a permie, 'client' will still think of you as an employee so you are caught. HMRC will want to come and have a look and will need a lot of convincing but by then it's too late.

If you are going to go contracting don't bother with the easy (but it isn't) route. Get out there and do it properly.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by crazyman1979 View Post
        Zero. But at least they are unchanged.

Maybe HMRC will be busy and you will fall through the net?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Zero. But at least they are unchanged.

Maybe HMRC will be busy and you will fall through the net?
          Indeed.

As everyone has said you're a Friday-Monday contractor, that's automatically inside IR35 barring some fairly freakish changes in the work you're doing.

The fact there is or isn't an agency involved is utterly irrelevant in IR35 terms.

Comment

Suck it up and go inside IR35 as a contractor at your old permco.
            You're inside or outside IR35 on a contract-by-contract basis so once you've finished your inside IR35 gig, there's nothing to stop you going full on contractor in an outside IR35 gig next time.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Suck it up and go inside IR35 as a contractor at your old permco.
              You're inside or outside IR35 on a contract-by-contract basis so once you've finished your inside IR35 gig, there's nothing to stop you going full on contractor in an outside IR35 gig next time.
              Or even doing two contracts at the same time where one is inside and one is outside - like I do at the moment
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The answer to the question is another question -- what changed?

Comment

Originally posted by crazyman1979 View Post
                  Hi

New to the forum.

Last april I quit my permie job and was offered a decent rate to stay on as a contractor - I used to be a contractor in the early 2000's and always fancied getting back into it, so I jumped at the chance when my new role kind of fell through.

I phoned up an agency and they took me on for a 5% fee, all has been well and i have just had an offer to stay for another 6 months but on the condition that I ditch the agency as my company has had all sorts of problems with them.

So I'm thinking of going direct to the client and will get the 5% fee back in my pocket - I always assumed because I worked as a permie for the same company in the same role that I'm always going to be inside IR35 - however I have heard some advice that going direct could get me away from this.

Much Love

R.
                  LOL!

You've got bob hope and no hope. Take your pick!
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I do have a second contract which is outside IR35 and will hopefully be moving over to that full time once this one finishes, so looks like this one will be staying inside IR35

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Working...
                    X