• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there anything more daft and pointless than a secure wheel nut?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there anything more daft and pointless than a secure wheel nut?

Jag had a puncture a year or so ago, and the RAC guy replaced the wheel.

One way or another, I later lost the spanner or thingummy jig that allows the locking nut to be removed, not realising its significance, or even that there was such a thing as a locking nut!

Had second puncture more recently, at which the RAC guy, on enquiring where the thingummy was and being told it had been lost, said not to worry, and used a chisel to whip off the supposedly secure locking nut in a matter of seconds.

Now the garage doing the car's service and MOT are saying they are having big problems getting the wheels off, on account of not having this blasted wing nut thing!

So in short, it is trivial to get off with a chisel, if you know what you are doing (which any serious carjacker or wheeljacker presumably does). But for any other purpose it is nothing but a liability!

And what's the betting if I phone Jaguar and ask for a replacement, they will say I need four brand new wheels, or even a new car?!
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 3 December 2015, 16:59.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Same thing happened to me on a previous car. Once I saw how easy it was to get off I never bothered again; the last car never had any and I never worried about it. My GT86 has locking nuts and I have the key but after trying it it feels so incredibly flimsy that I was reluctant to put any force on it at all. Might throw them away and buy 4 standard nuts, assuming I can get them off without snapping something.

Halfords used to sell a tool to get them off for £20.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Get a crappy old van. Nobody going to steel my wheels.

PS If my little van should happen to read this, I am just joking, I love you.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

To kill a thread off, twenty quid on ebay you moaning git.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

AA guy took my secure wheel nut with him

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            AA guy took my secure wheel nut with him
            Explains the waffle in your posts.

BTW, does lada require wheelnuts?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              To kill a thread off, twenty quid on ebay you moaning git.
              Huh?! Is that some kind of wheel nut thread, or are you talking about this CUK thread?
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Son for some wonderful reason managed to leave the adaptor bit behind at Uni when he came to visit (still can't figure out why you would take it away from the car) & I had to do some work on the brakes to get it through it's MOT - ended up hammering a undersized socket over the thing to get it off & then getting the wheel nut out of the socket was fun - rinse & repeat x 4
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

You guys have never parked up in Liverpool have you?
                  First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Jag had a puncture a year or so ago, and the RAC guy replaced the wheel.

One way or another, I later lost the spanner or thingummy jig that allows the locking nut to be removed, not realising its significance, or even that there was such a thing as a locking nut!

Had second puncture more recently, at which the RAC guy, on enquiring where the thingummy was and being told it had been lost, said not to worry, and used a chisel to whip off the supposedly secure locking nut in a matter of seconds.

Now the garage doing the car's service and MOT are saying they are having big problems getting the wheels off, on account of not having this blasted wing nut thing!

So in short, it is trivial to get off with a chisel, if you know what you are doing (which any serious carjacker or wheeljacker presumably does). But for any other purpose it is nothing but a liability!

And what's the betting if I phone Jaguar and ask for a replacement, they will say I need four brand new wheels, or even a new car?!
                    The AA man used a chisel!? WTF!?

You can buy a wheel locknut removal tool for about £29 IIRC. Then you just need to buy either aftermarket locking wheel nuts or from the dealer.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-too...el-nut-remover
                    Last edited by BolshieBastard; 3 December 2015, 20:16.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X