• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

away from home.. claiming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

away from home.. claiming

Hi,
    I've been looking over the forums and google etc and just need someone to confirm my thoughts -

if I took a contract say 100 miles from home and had to stay mon-fri in a hotel. would this be deductable from the revenue or corporation tax.. my understanding is that since it is an "expense" it would be deductive from revenue..ie revenue - expenses = profit.. therefore it would reduce any profit I would make during the contact length.. or if its directly deductible from corporation tax it wont affect my profit?

regards,
    Craig.

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Hi Craig,

This would be an expense for your company, providing it was to a temporary location.

Therefore you would have your net turnover - less expenses = profit.

This profit would then be subject to corporation tax.

As this is travel cost, you will need to be aware of the new SDC legislation when this comes in from April 2016.

Comment

One of the articles in the newbie guides to the right -->

Contractors’ Questions: Can I claim travel expenses? CUK02 :: Contractor UK

Good idea to spend some time in there first before asking stuff. You'll learn a lot more reading about the whole expenses area than you will asking individual questions.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

yes, I've looked through it but its not sinking in I dont think..

so, in leymans terms, I'd be better looking for a contract nearer to home (no traveling expenses etc) paying the same daily rate to maximize my profit.. am I correct in thinking this way?

Comment

Originally posted by cjonline View Post
            Hi,
            I've been looking over the forums and google etc and just need someone to confirm my thoughts -

if I took a contract say 100 miles from home and had to stay mon-fri in a hotel. would this be deductable from the revenue or corporation tax.. my understanding is that since it is an "expense" it would be deductive from revenue..ie revenue - expenses = profit.. therefore it would reduce any profit I would make during the contact length.. or if its directly deductible from corporation tax it wont affect my profit?

regards,
            Craig.
            As Louisa said it reduces your profit. And thus it reduces your corp tax a bit; it seems you enquiry was whether it reduces the corp tax by the amount of the expense. Sadly not, or everybody would just take a suite in the Ritz. It does mean that the impact is not quite as bad as it otherwise would have been.

Example claimable exps.

Billing 5,000
            Hotel 1,000
            Gross profit 4,000
            Tax 800

Net profit after tax 3,200 (what's left)

If the exps were not claimable then the tax would be on 5,000 giving a tax payment of 1,000 and net income after of 3,000
            Last edited by ASB; 3 December 2015, 17:09.

Comment

Employee expenses reimbursed by YourCo, or paid directly, reduce your taxable profit and hence your CT bill.

Regardless of the tax position it should surely be obvious that lower expenses for a given contract equals better profitability?

Comment

I have no words....
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  Employee expenses reimbursed by YourCo, or paid directly, reduce your taxable profit and hence your CT bill.

Regardless of the tax position it should surely be obvious that lower expenses for a given contract equals better profitability?
                  I think what the op was hoping to see (and this does seem fairly common) was:-

Billing 5,000
                  Profit 5,000
                  Tax 1,000
                  Less hotel bill 1,000
                  Actual tax to pay zero - whoopie.

Net left 4,000

There does seem to be a common though that something being tax deductible means it is deducted from the tax payment rather than deducted from the amount charged to tax. Sadly it is the latter of course.

Comment

Originally posted by cjonline View Post
                    yes, I've looked through it but its not sinking in I dont think..

so, in leymans terms, I'd be better looking for a contract nearer to home (no traveling expenses etc) paying the same daily rate to maximize my profit.. am I correct in thinking this way?
                    Craig, I cannot emphasise enough - get an accountant asap. What can and cannot be claimed can change each year; your accountant is paid to keep abreast of that and advise you accordingly.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X