• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn etiquette question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinkedIn etiquette question

Was with a company yonks ago.
    Since then it's changed name a couple of times.
    When adding an old client to your profile would you enter the original name or the new one?

original- accurate, but who's heard of them?
    New - same building/industry/(some of) team, (much) more likely to show up in searches.

Interestingly, I quote the original client name on my cv........

How well known is this company in whatever guise? If clients aren't going to know who it was then I just wouldn't bother changing it. That said you worked for them when they were 'x' so you should really put that whatever the situation. You didn't work for them when they were 'y'. Changing the names can only start to create questions if a client digs in to it for financial or security checks. Their results say one thing yet your linked in says another. A red flag that just isn't worth it.

That said if x was pretty unknown and the new name 'y' is a household name and can add some impact I might have to think again.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      That said if x was pretty unknown and the new name 'y' is a household name and can add some impact I might have to think again.
      Yep, that's the dilemma, that said, cv says 'Co. x, now part of Co. y'.
      Anyway, it was a long time ago, far, far away......

Comment

Can't decide? Don't decide. Add both. People will think you're a hard working mother tulip.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

did it change while you were there?

If so its the last name standing if it changed from loser ltd to Amazing ltd while you were there then its Amazing.

If not its 1997 - 2001 at Loser ltd I did X there and it later became Amazing ltd.

I thought in Linked in they did that automatically?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If you work in Technical no recruiter looks past your last two assignments anyway..
            Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
            "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

I have a couple of past clients like that.

I just list the original name, and the new name in brackets after it, e.g.

XYZ Ltd (now part of ABC Corp)
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
                If you work in Technical no recruiter looks past your last two references anyway..

ftfy
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I thought in Linked in they did that automatically?
                  It has in the 2 applicable instances on my Linkedin profile

Comment

If it's "yonks" ago I wouldn't care as not many people will bother going that far back
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X