• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gold. Bullion or coins?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold. Bullion or coins?

Tempted to diversify into gold. I personally see the price point as quite reasonable.

I understand Britannia coins £750 a pop are CGT exempt.

Any advice for choosing gold to invest in?
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

If you buy enough bullion you could build a house with it.

Comment

depends if you want to sell it when the price looks better, or if you're saving it for the zombie apocalypse.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        depends if you want to sell it when the price looks better, or if you're saving it for the zombie apocalypse.
        Principally a) but a bit of b) too.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

hey why don't you wait until George taxes people who own 2 or more coins, maybe they will sell their spare to you cheap?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The premium for sovereigns is something like 5% over the spot price of gold; they're CGT exempt, so if you were to buy a lot of them, and there were a significant rise in gold's value, that would make them relatively attractive, providing the government did not remove that exemption. They are also recognisable and convenient to transport, if that matters to you.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            hey why don't you wait until George taxes people who own 2 or more coins, maybe they will sell their spare to you cheap?

He's got a housing bubble to lick his chops over, for now.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              Principally a) but a bit of b) too.
              For (b) you'd be better buying silver.

People flashing gold around post WW3 or the zombie plague will be talked about for miles around, and you'll attract hordes of "interesting" strangers on exotic looking quad bikes who are very keen to find out more.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                For (b) you'd be better buying silver.
                You pay 20% VAT on buying Silver but not on Gold
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Hmmm - wonder what Hector would say about buying 4 of these from retained profits in the company

If the price rises they would be sold and the difference trousered ( all hypothetically of course)

Seems a better bet than the 0.250% from Cater Allen

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I've got two teenage sons, they cost me so much the only gold I ever see is on chocolate wrappers, and they are from my sons chocolate wrappers.
                    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Working...
                    X