• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

latest salary thoughts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

latest salary thoughts

So I am back to contracting after a few years permie with a startup (fun and frustrating in equal measure).

Obviously there have been a few changes in respect of IR35, HMRC etc. I'm on top of it but I am interested to know what is the perceived wisdom in terms of salary these days?

It is still £10K salary high dividends, or a reasonable salary eating into the profits? I have a reviewed IR35 compliant contract, confirmation of working practices, own kit, my office as a defined workplace yada yada yada.

Good to be back..!
    Older and ...well, just older!!

It's still salary to £10,600 - in conjunction with the NI small company allowance, and dividends of 31785 gross (27546 net)

Some lesser accountancy firms recommend a circa £8k salary I believe, not making use of the NI allowance.

This all changes in April whereby a small amount of tax (couple of grand or so) will be necessary per year to hold back in order to achieve a figure similar to the above.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Yadda yadda And got an accountant?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Getting a new one actually. I have a good track record with accountants, Darren Upton was my accountant many moons ago!!

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          It's still salary to £10,600 - in conjunction with the NI small company allowance, and dividends of 31785 gross (27546 net)

Some lesser accountancy firms recommend a circa £8k salary I believe, not making use of the NI allowance.

This all changes in April whereby a small amount of tax (couple of grand or so) will be necessary per year to hold back in order to achieve a figure similar to the above.
          NI Allowance for one man bands is going in April.

Also arriving in April is a 7% lower tax rate on Dividends after the first £5000. Rises to net 25% if you go into the upper tax bracket.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            Darren Upton was my accountant many moons ago!!
            You're lucky you are setting up another limited vs. being knee deep in lube, in a 6 by 6 foot cell, waiting for a "visit".
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Particularly when it comes to salary/divi split, different accountants have different views of what to do for the best and so this isn't a particularly bad question to put to a forum (even if it has been asked many times) to see what other people are doing.

Just because your accountant says "yeah, do X" it doesn't mean that's the right way to do it, it could just mean that accountant is being conservative with his recommendations.

Heck, some 'accountants' recommend schemes where you keep 89% of your earnings. It doesn't mean that advice is right and a bit of sanity checking with ones peers doesn't go amiss.
              Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Why does no one ever ask the basic question like whether the OP has any other income?

Are you just back NOW after permie during the first part of the tax year? If so, you probably shouldn't be paying yourself any salary, since you've already used your personal allowance.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                  Why does no one ever ask the basic question like whether the OP has any other income?

Are you just back NOW after permie during the first part of the tax year? If so, you probably shouldn't be paying yourself any salary, since you've already used your personal allowance.
                  Sorry yes I should have been clear. I am looking at drawing a salary from the start of the new tax year. Drew low salary for many years so it looks like there is no major reason to change from what I am used to.

Thanks all...

Comment

Working...
                  X