• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Belgium

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Belgium

I am getting a call shortly from an agent about a role in Belgium.

All of my employment and contracting has been in the UK to date - is there anything I should be looking out for with regards to working in Belgium - Other than how good the chocolates are?

Ask if you can go through your Ltd. or will you be on the local pay role.
    If local, they should be able to give you an example on 20 days, that will give you a nett pay.

Don't head off unless you have 4K -5K to cover first month until you get paid.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

All of my employment and contracting has been in the UK to date - is there anything I should be looking out for with regards to working in Belgium - Other than how good the chocolates are?
      How far is the office from Molenbeek ?

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
        Ask if you can go through your Ltd. or will you be on the local pay role.
        If local, they should be able to give you an example on 20 days, that will give you a nett pay.

Don't head off unless you have 4K -5K to cover first month until you get paid.
        Good advice - Thanks. Have a very healthy war-chest (year plus) - Sounds like quite an adventure if it comes off! Wanting to brush up on my French.

Comment

Is it a UK or Belgian agent?

Where is the client based? (never mind chocolate, it's the beer you'll want and then after a few months you'll discover Belgian gin... :drool: )

How will you get to the client site? Flights to Zaventum, Eurostar, tunnel/driving?

What expenses are included? (do you get full expenses or just a per diem for hotels)

How much are local hotels? Brussels city centre you'll be paying €150-200 per night, head out to Ittre and you can get a hotel with a pool for €100 a night, Nivelles is about €120, Antwerp similar to Brussels

Where do other contractors stay?

Do they allow WFH?

It's a nice place to work.
          Last edited by WTFH; 8 December 2015, 10:47.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Good advice - Thanks. Have a very healthy war-chest (year plus) - Sounds like quite an adventure if it comes off! Wanting to brush up on my French.
            *waits for Wilmslow to arrive in the Flemish-speaking part of Belgium and try to get them to talk French*

Comment

Get regular calls for contracts in Belgium as I'm a native Dutch speaker. Rates are always too low, I can get better rates locally in the UK without having to move to another country.

Comment

Night life, good restaurants like Thailand, Japanese, shows at Grand Place...

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  Night life, good restaurants like Thailand, Japanese, shows at Grand Place...
                  You forgot the good hookers?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                    You forgot the good hookers?
                    Who cares, I'm a woman.

Comment

Working...
                    X