• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MVL - Autumn Statement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MVL - Autumn Statement

Hi, I have been looking through some commentary on the Autumn Statement with respect to Entrepreneurs Relief and found this section below on the BBC.

Just wondering if there was anything I have missed.

Winding up for tax reasons
    When companies are wound up, the money inside the company can sometimes be paid out as capital, so that the more generous capital gains tax regime applies.
    This can be a way of avoiding income tax, but this planning is now likely to be blocked.

Autumn Statement 2015: Tax changes in the pipeline - BBC News

Guess from further reading that tomorrow is the day the Draft Finance Bill is released which will from the sounds of it, change a lot of the rules

Comment

The bottom piece of that article says it all, really.

The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by the BBC unless specifically stated. The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Links to external sites are for information only and do not constitute endorsement. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

We saw that BBC page...but couldn't really find anything else to back it up.

Formal things we did see were:

· 3.85 Company distributions – The government will publish a consultation on the rules concerning company distributions later in the year. The government will also amend the Transactions in Securities rules and introduce a Targeted Anti-Avoidance Rule in order to prevent opportunities for income to be converted to capital in order to gain a tax advantage. (Finance Bill 2016) (18)

· 3.92 Capital Gains Tax entrepreneurs’ relief: contrived structures – The government will consider bringing forward legislation to amend the changes made by Finance Act 2015 to entrepreneurs’ relief, in order to support businesses by ensuring that the relief is available on certain genuine commercial transactions.

So, didn't seem like anything cast iron, but both could potentially be aimed at MVLs.

For 3.92, I don't think anyone would consider a simple contractor type company going into liquidation a "contrived structure". I would expect it's aimed at something far more niche.

For 3.85, it's a fairly common scenario that a Ltd Co contractor's earning enough to take (say) £80k annual divis but only taking (say) £30k annual divis, then liquidating the £100k left after 2 years. I guess that someone could argue that this is converting income into capital to gain a tax advantage.

As far as MVL Online are concerned for the time being at least it's still business as usual.

Comment

Thanks Maslins,

It would be a bit of a risk for someone to start down the MVL process and have the rug pulled from underneath it would it?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesearljones View Post
            Thanks Maslins,

It would be a bit of a risk for someone to start down the MVL process and have the rug pulled from underneath it would it?
            Better to start now than cry into your pretzels after the rules are changed

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
              For 3.85, it's a fairly common scenario that a Ltd Co contractor's earning enough to take (say) £80k annual divis but only taking (say) £30k annual divis, then liquidating the £100k left after 2 years. I guess that someone could argue that this is converting income into capital to gain a tax advantage..
              It is certainly converting income into capital. They are after all retained earnings. Whether it is justifiable or not is different.

It does gain a tax advantage because the capital regime is more benign. Would people liquidate if it was not taxed to capital. Some would. But those larger may well not because it would take them over 150k, increasing the tax take.

A lot does gain a tax advantage, so it will be in the firing line some time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesearljones View Post
                Firstly, let me stress we have no better information than anyone else re what's around the corner. However, I would anticipate that at the point that they do change the rules (which will inevitably happen at some point), it's likely they'd only make it apply to new liquidations from that point onwards.

I appreciate there has been some retrospective changes impacting the contractor community in recent years (eg BN66)...but more often than not when changes are announced they'll be done in a way that anyone who's already in the middle of a process will continue to follow the old rules.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                  It is certainly converting income into capital. They are after all retained earnings. Whether it is justifiable or not is different.

It does gain a tax advantage because the capital regime is more benign. Would people liquidate if it was not taxed to capital. Some would. But those larger may well not because it would take them over 150k, increasing the tax take.

A lot does gain a tax advantage, so it will be in the firing line some time soon.
                  I don't disagree with anything you've said...but perhaps worth mentioning that using MVLs in this was isn't a new loophole mistakenly created by the govt a few years ago, it's virtually the opposite. Previously you could get the same tax treatment for any net asset value by asking nicely under ESC C16. The change in rules a few years back tightened this up, making it harder to get that tax treatment.

HMRC's own guidance on it at the time suggested liquidations would cost £5-10k, so the cynic in me thinks those in power wanted the CGT treatment to only be worthwhile for the really rich. By the price of liquidations for simple cases tumbling, arguably it opened up that same beneficial tax treatment again to the more modestly rich (I'm in no way suggesting MVL Online helps the poor man on the street...but it enables those with £tens of thousands to benefit from something that might otherwise only have been worthwhile for those with £hundreds of thousands/£millions).

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                    I don't disagree with anything you've said...but perhaps worth mentioning that using MVLs in this was isn't a new loophole mistakenly created by the govt a few years ago, it's virtually the opposite. Previously you could get the same tax treatment for any net asset value by asking nicely under ESC C16. The change in rules a few years back tightened this up, making it harder to get that tax treatment.

HMRC's own guidance on it at the time suggested liquidations would cost £5-10k, so the cynic in me thinks those in power wanted the CGT treatment to only be worthwhile for the really rich. By the price of liquidations for simple cases tumbling, arguably it opened up that same beneficial tax treatment again to the more modestly rich (I'm in no way suggesting MVL Online helps the poor man on the street...but it enables those with £tens of thousands to benefit from something that might otherwise only have been worthwhile for those with £hundreds of thousands/£millions).
                    That is absolutely true. I personally used ESC 16 when I liquidated myself. It was a very cheap way of getting the cash. MVL has been around a long time, but previously was rather more expensive.

It is, in my view at least, not a loophole in any way. However the fact that it can lead to more favourable tax treatment than other methods is merely coincidental - and understood. Ultimately the funds released have already had CT paid on them at whatever rates were prevailing - in some case much higher than they are today for those established a long time time ago.

It seems to me that the government are trying very hard to remove the differences in tax treatment between the capital and income tax regimes - at least to the extent that overall they gain a similar slice of the overall funds in either case. As such I am quite certain that there will be further changes over time.

Comment

Working...
                    X