• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smartphone good in low light?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smartphone good in low light?

OK I know these threads are a bit boring/subjective, but am after recommendations for a smartphone that has a good camera. By that I mean good in low light, quick to activate etc.

Currently have an old HTC Sensation which I like but the camera is below par (get a weird purple glow on highlights, crap in low light) I do have a good DSLR but as the saying goes the best camera is the one you have with you, and I've come to realise I'm missing good impromptu shots of rl4.Jr as they come out all blurred or (if you use flash) stark and horrible.

Not bothered about age of phone, megapixels etc. Not Apple though. Possibly Samsung but I notice the screens always seem to have a blue tint to them? Any recommendations from /gen/ ?
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    OK I know these threads are a bit boring/subjective, but am after recommendations for a smartphone that has a good camera. By that I mean good in low light, quick to activate etc.

Currently have an old HTC Sensation which I like but the camera is below par (get a weird purple glow on highlights, crap in low light) I do have a good DSLR but as the saying goes the best camera is the one you have with you, and I've come to realise I'm missing good impromptu shots of rl4.Jr as they come out all blurred or (if you use flash) stark and horrible.

Not bothered about age of phone, megapixels etc. Not Apple though. Possibly Samsung but I notice the screens always seem to have a blue tint to them? Any recommendations from /gen/ ?
    Try Huawei. Excellent phones.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
      Try Huawei. Excellent phones.
      Nice one, got a specific model in mind? Also do they not come with Chinese trojans and malware embedded in the firmware?
      Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
      "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Nice one, got a specific model in mind? Also do they not come with Chinese trojans and malware embedded in the firmware?
        I own the Dual SIM 4G model called Honor. £150 and I can't believe it lasted me a year now. High spec and low price

Comment

The Lumia range is the stand out for cameras, though you want to avoid new Windows 10 models as they have Windows 10!

My 1020 is pretty great. I basically never use the flash and photos come out great.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Arguably, you'll never find a smartphone that takes good quality pics in low light, simply because it doesn't have the aperture.

You'd be better off getting a separate compact digital camera, like a Sony or Canon, with a larger lens.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Why not Apple?

Anyway, ignoring prejudice...

Panasonic Lumix CM1 - 20Mp, 1"

This is the smartphone with the biggest sensor and the biggest pixels (so it's best in low light), it's also made by a camera manufacturer.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Arguably, you'll never find a smartphone that takes good quality pics in low light, simply because it doesn't have the aperture.
                Isn't this where the oversampling comes in on modern chips (like the PureView used in Lumias)? Or is that for something else?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Isn't this where the oversampling comes in on modern chips (like the PureView used in Lumias)? Or is that for something else?
                  Hmm, not sure. I don't claim to be an expert, but it seems fairly obvious (even if possibly wrong) that a lens the size of a pea will never take as good pictures in low light as a much larger lens.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Allegedly it's for that, but all it does is allow a manufacturer to claim lots of megapixels. Most people are hung up on megapixels (more must be better).

So, take a 40Mp sensor and to "improve the image quality", combine 4 pixels into one. You end up with a 10Mp image which isn't as good as a 10Mp image taken with a 10Mp sensor of the same size, but is better than a 40Mp image taken with a 40Mp sensor of that size.

The Lumia 1020's sensor is about 1/4 the size of a crop dSLR or about 1/15th the size of full frame. The Panasonic's sensor is 2x the size of the Lumia.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X