• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sunken treasure ship found with possibly $17 billion in gold on board

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunken treasure ship found with possibly $17 billion in gold on board

2015-12-07 The 'Holy Grail' of Shipwrecks Was Just Found, With $17 Billion in Loot

The San Jose is found after more than 300 years. Inflation adjusted, it has a metric boatload of money on board

Off in the Pacific, just off the coast of the Baru Peninsula of Colombia, a ship missing for 310 years has been found again. And on board that boat, the San Jose, there may be up to $17 billion in loot to plunder.

The San Jose was sunk in a bitter civil war between Spanish forces loyal to the Hapsburg Dynasty and those loyal to Prince Phillip, a nephew and next in line for succession. Other European nations joined in on the fight. The San Jose carried 7 to 11 million pesos at the time, which brings the total estimated value of the haul to be $17 billion. Only 11 out of 600 crew members escaped the boat after a sudden explosion on board caused the ship to swiftly drown during an engagement with British forces known as Wager's Action.

The Colombian navy reportedly found the ship, which was sunk in 1708 to prevent the money on board from funding war efforts on the European front. Though other ships from the battle have been found, the San Jose eluded treasure hunters, leading to it being regarded as the "holy grail" of sunken ships

:::
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

I assumed Purple Gorilla had got his hands on some scuba diving equipment when I saw his investment thread earlier.

Comment

I'm wondering, since the British apparently sank it originally, couldn't it be argued the lootarcheologically significant site belongs to us?

Technically, I mean
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Is this the one Gordon Brown sunk?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

What would Colombian hostages on that ship do? Who knows.

All we can be sure of is that shaunbhoy will continue to peel potatoes while it sinks to the floor awaiting rescue.

Comment

Working...
          X