• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain's most iconic buy-to-let investor, sells up all 900 houses for £ 250 mln

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain's most iconic buy-to-let investor, sells up all 900 houses for £ 250 mln

" Britain’s most iconic buy-to-let landlords are to sell their entire property empire for £250m in what could mark the start of a wider sell-off by landlords.

Fergus and Judith Wilson, former maths teachers, will offload around 900 houses to a pool of foreign investors which include both wealthy individuals and institutions.

It comes after the Government imposed a string of measures designed to dramatically increase the amount of tax buy-to-let investors pay on their investment. Experts warn many other landlords may now be forced to sell, as their portfolios become loss-making.

Mr Wilson said he is sorry to be giving up on his properties but “common sense must prevail”. He said he is 67 years old and “getting no younger”.

The properties are all in Ashford, Maidstone and Folkestone in Kent. Mr Wilson said he had taken measures so that local prices, amid such a big sell-off, are not adversely affected. "

Source: Fergus Wilson, Britain's most iconic buy-to-let investor, sells up all 900 houses for £250m - Telegraph

They've been talking about selling it all for years now.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Nice example of journalistic jargon in the headline there. "Most iconic" can be translated to "has been mentioned in the papers a lot solely because he's always willing to give us a quick quote."

Remember, folks, if you want to be the "most iconic" something, just be ready at any time - night or day - to give journalists desperate to stand up a story something pithy, and that can be interpreted as supporting whatever viewpoint they're boosting today. If in doubt, ask them what they need you to say; they'll be happy to oblige. Then you just repeat it back to them so they can put speech marks around it. Do this a few times and bingo! You now have iconic status

Comment

At last, some people we can look up to, and a dream we can aspire to. I hope they are on next years honours list.

Comment

Is it just me, or does his wife's eyes seem too close together?
          Little Britain?
          Love his dress sense too

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Their timing is very good.

I just hope the government soon stops property ownership by foreigners.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Love his dress sense too

I kinda like the jacket and tie. But not together.
              I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
                Exactly, don't mind the "squire" look, however, the (lack of) colour matching leaves a lot to be desired.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Now if they've got any sense, they'd piss off to some tax haven with no inheritance tax, before the sale is completed.

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
                    It's the shirt. A cream shirt would pull it together.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                    X