• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Advice....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Advice....

...lord help me for posting this here, but I suspect some of you might have some good ideas.

I'm planning on getting a dog, and am trying to ensure I'm as prepared as possible, particularly since I'm hoping to get an english mastiff [puppy].

I need to swap my car, and am struggling with which model to go for. I need something large enough to transport a very large dog breed, whilst being economical enough to commute in. I detest faux 4x4s, and am nervous of the costs involved in something like a land rover. I also don't think I can be arsed with anything rear wheel drive, but might be persuaded given I could just invest in some decent winter tyres perhaps.

Budget wise, I don't want to spend more than £12k.

Advice most gratefully taken...
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    ...lord help me for posting this here, but I suspect some of you might have some good ideas.

I'm planning on getting a dog, and am trying to ensure I'm as prepared as possible, particularly since I'm hoping to get an english mastiff [puppy].

I need to swap my car, and am struggling with which model to go for. I need something large enough to transport a very large dog breed, whilst being economical enough to commute in. I detest faux 4x4s, and am nervous of the costs involved in something like a land rover. I also don't think I can be arsed with anything rear wheel drive, but might be persuaded given I could just invest in some decent winter tyres perhaps.

We used to have a Renault Megane Scenic, good value and plenty of room, no hassles with it either. Currently have a Vauxhall Meriva, terrible car, stay away

Comment

Just get a red one luvvie and then pop the kettle on

Ta

Comment

Volvo V70 estate. Loads of room. Decent spec at the entry level. Bullet proof.

Dog cages for the boot available easily that are designed to fit. Much better than trying to fit a guard behind the rear seats and keeps the interior clean as well as protecting the dog in the event of an accident.
        Last edited by DaveB; 10 December 2015, 13:36.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Don't you know any men in the real world? That's not what your posting history had led me to believe....

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

You are welcome to move in with me

Comment

Ok, next..

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Volvo V70 estate. Loads of room. Decent spec at the entry level. Bullet proof.

Dog cages for the boot available easily that are designed to fit. Much better than trying to fit a guard behind the rear seats and keeps the interior clean as well as protecting the dog in the event of an accident.
                Good idea, thanks Dave. [I'd already decided on the cage, sounds like the best option]. My main concern is that I don't buy a car that is still too small for the dog, too.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                  We used to have a Renault Megane Scenic, good value and plenty of room, no hassles with it either. Currently have a Vauxhall Meriva, terrible car, stay away

Don't touch Renault Megane, horrible cars.

Try a Toyota or a Mazda.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Where exactly are you planning to take this dog? Please tell me you don't live in a 3 bed terrace.
                    I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Working...
                    X