• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of Airport free parking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of Airport free parking

Not only is manchester airport one of the dirtiest I have ever had the misfortune to arrive in (and its my closest international airport) but now they want to charge you for picking people up!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/6044572.stm
    Coffee's for closers

"For safety and security reasons we have decided to enforce these procedures more rigorously to improve traffic flow and reduce the chance of road accidents."

If that was the real reason they would not be charging for that short term parking space they are redirecting everyone to.

The swines.

Comment

All airport parking is a complete con anyway. Most airports are in areas which are not hugely built up, so parking should not be as expensive as it is. All it does is encourage wasteful journeys. When I go to the airport I usually take a taxi from home - local taxi company. This means they come to my house, pick me up and drop me off, then drive back empty to where they started from. Then picking me up, they come to the airport empty and drive me home. 4 trips between the airport and home, 2 of which involce empty cars. If the charging was cheaper I would leave my car at the airport and only have 2 trips between the house and the airport.

OK I know that there is a chance that the taxi can get a fare for the journey home, but it does not usually happen.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

So basically you are paying for delays caused by ATC & baggage handling. I do a few family pickups a year to Manchester and they are the only reasons I stay longer than I need to

Comment

about a year ago i had to pick up one of the company big wigs (i was a permie at that time) from manchester airport, i knew he was in the terminal and making his way towards the car but the airport staff insisted that i could not wait for him for 2 minutes in the pickup area
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Sit in the car nearby until you get a text to say they're at the roadside;
            OR
            just pay it (part of the total cost);
            OR
            discuss the matter from the driver's seat while sitting in the spot that will jam up the other traffic worse than if they had just let you pick up
            OR
            never use that airport again, happy to deny the thieving barstewards their extortion even if it means using a less convenient airport. Have you looked at Liverpool or Birmingham + train?

Comment

Working...
            X