• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Insurance scam.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Insurance scam.

OK, how does this supposedly work?

Driving home tonight and I get a call. The number wasnt in my phone book and I didnt recognise it. I decided to answer and got some muppeting asking for me by name.

Now, Ive had a couple of timewasters so asked up front what was the call about. He said 'your details have come up on the MID as having had a no fault car accident and we can handle a compensation claim for you.'

Knowing Ive had nothing of the sort and getting hacked off, I said Ive had no such thing and kindly take me off your calling database. He asked 'what happened in your no fault accident?'

At this point, pissed offIi ended the call. On reflection and, although I couldnt write anything down, I should have asked;

What company he was calling from, time and place this no fault accident is supposed to have happened, what was the accident and what vehicles were involved etc.

I dont get why or how they got my mobi number nor how they could get any money for me or off me.

So how does the scam work, how do they make money?

This guy was working in a call centre and could hear others in the background. Im also concerned about the non existant no fault 'accident.' Im considering approaching my insurers but wondered if they might start getting suspicious themselves as being Admiral, they load your premium even for no fault accidents!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    So how does the scam work, how do they make money?
    Juicy referral feel from a solicitor firm...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Juicy referral feel from a solicitor firm...
      This. It's a numbers game, smile & dial enough people and you'll land on some that have not made a claim on an accident that they believe was not their fault.

Comment

Any calls I get like that immediately get added to the blocked list

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
          Any calls I get like that immediately get added to the blocked list

As I have done once I got home and stopped driving.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I tend to report those numbers then block them.

If enough people complain about these types of calls then the company gets fined.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              I tend to report those numbers then block them.

If enough people complain about these types of calls then the company gets fined.
              Absolutely this. I make a point of listening to the company name when they speak, if I didn't hear I'll ask again. Then I'll end the call and report it. They do action these but only if people report them.

https://ico.org.uk/concerns/marketin...lesales-calls/

The most annoying thing about this particular type of call is they are probably using data that has been sold on by the insurance companies which is a bit of a disgrace to start off with.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Remember some of that data has been stolen.

Aviva had an employee who stole customer data and sold it on in a pub.

To minimise data theft some companies ensure off-shore call centres don't have access to all your data. So the only theft of useful data occurs inside the EU.

And the government changed the law on what data insurance companies can sell on. This has actually screwed up one company closely linked to insurers business model.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Absolutely this. I make a point of listening to the company name when they speak, if I didn't hear I'll ask again. Then I'll end the call and report it. They do action these but only if people report them.

https://ico.org.uk/concerns/marketin...lesales-calls/

The most annoying thing about this particular type of call is they are probably using data that has been sold on by the insurance companies which is a bit of a disgrace to start off with.
                  Thanks for the link.

I get a few of these a month, it usually goes:
                  "I'm from the Accident Helpline, you've been in an accident?
                  "Sorry, who? Are you a government department?"
                  "Yes sir, government. Can I have the details of the accident?"
                  "You do realise that it's fraud to impersonate a government official?"
                  *click*

*I have no idea if it is fraud to impersonate a government official or not, but they seem to hang up in a hurry when I ask...

Comment

It is fraud to impersonate someone else for financial gain.

Edited to say:
                    You should put a recorder on your phone and spin the conversation out getting as much info about their employer as possible. Then tell them at the end of the call it will be sent to the authorities.
                    Last edited by SueEllen; 10 December 2015, 23:59.

Comment

Working...
                    X