• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do we need knowledge?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we need knowledge?

Call to scrap current London cab driver Knowledge test - BBC News

Can't SatNavs and computers do it all now?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    SatNavs are usually better than the knowledge:

* They have live traffic updates and know when bridges are shut
    * They take main roads and don't take you on a zig-zag path via the back streets over every speed hump, "'cos it's on the cotton"
    Last edited by swamp; 11 December 2015, 13:29.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

My issue with black cabs has always been that they are so damn uncomfortable. During my IB days - cruise to FFM in E-Class Mercedes, rattle from LHR to the city in a London Cab. Even befor Uber I hated them.

The only reason to take a black cab is that they require less contact with people than the tube.

Sure they look traditional, but like the red telephone box sadly they have passed their time as a functional tool.

Comment

If they do and anyone can get a licence that has a SatNav does that mean the prices will come down??
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The knowledge. Question 27. "How do you get from 'the weather is nice' to 'send them all home' "

Copyright Cockney W**ker in Viz....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            If they do and anyone can get a licence that has a SatNav does that mean the prices will come down??
            Why do you think they're so p1ssed off with Uber.

Comment

They have had it their own way for too long.

I dread to think how much I have spent on them whilst in London
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

My experiences with Uber in London this year have been interesting. I now know that, unlike everwhere else i've ever got a cab, it's up to you to tell them the exact destination. Feed the postcode into their app and they will take you there. Get it wrong, and you're utterly fecked.

Comment

It's no conincidence that all this happened when Yentobs expenses were exposed.
                  He was supporting the whole fleet of black cabs with our licence fees, the bastid
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Uber aims to turn everyday commuters into taxi drivers - Telegraph

Interesting to see how this affects car insurance....

Comment

Working...
                    X