• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news

At least 19 women win seats on local councils across Saudi Arabia | Daily Mail Online

At least 19 women win seats on local councils across Saudi Arabia after they were run in elections for the first time
    Women ran for 979 of the 2,100 municipal seats up for grabs in elections
    106,000 of the 130,000 who registered cast their ballots in landmark event
    19 winners won seat in 10 different regions and some still to be announced
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Shame they won't be allowed to drive to work.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Shame they won't be allowed to drive to work.
      They will be driven by chauffeur...
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        They will be driven by chauffeur...
        Close male relative? Who presumably will have to accompany them to all the council sessions.

It's a little bit of progress I suppose.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'd cynically assumed that while they were being allowed to stand, nobody would vote for them and that would be that.

Those few women who did get elected are going to have a heck of a time, good luck to them.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I'd cynically assumed that while they were being allowed to stand, nobody would vote for them and that would be that.

Those few women who did get elected are going to have a heck of a time, good luck to them.
            The council can pass SFA in regards of laws.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I thought it was to do with council cutbacks. The catering trolley has been discontinued and they needed someone to make the tea.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I assumed exactly the same and also believe they have their work cut out.

I did some work standing up a service desk in Cairo once and interviewed along with a colleague out there. He wouldn't consider a single woman on the desk as the male Sales guys would not appreciate being told what to do by a woman so it just wouldn't work.

If that is their attitude to service desk staff then good luck to anyone trying to change policy etc.

It's a start but so far to go yet.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I assumed exactly the same and also believe they have their work cut out.

I did some work standing up a service desk in Cairo once and interviewed along with a colleague out there. He wouldn't consider a single woman on the desk as the male Sales guys would not appreciate being told what to do by a woman so it just wouldn't work.

If that is their attitude to service desk staff then good luck to anyone trying to change policy etc.

It's a start but so far to go yet.
                  was the same in Dubai a few years ago. Felt quite odd.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X