• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Direct contract and effect on IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct contract and effect on IR35

Got my first direct contract - all things being equal, what is the IR35 effect on going direct with no agency in the middle?

I've had the contract renewed by QDOS and their recommended changes have been adopted.

Has anyone been caught by IR35 when contracting directly?

How well do you understand IR35?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It doesn't change your IR35 status, but there are fewer unknowns (e.g. client to agency contract).

For example, if there is a substitution clause in the contract, it is more likely that the client means it rather than it being in an agency-contractor contract which may not be reflected in the upper contract.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
        It doesn't change your IR35 status, but there are fewer unknowns (e.g. client to agency contract).

For example, if there is a substitution clause in the contract, it is more likely that the client means it rather than it being in an agency-contractor contract which may not be reflected in the upper contract.
        Is the correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Is the correct answer.
          But it doesn't mean you can forget all about IR35 like a tick box contractor. You have to understand it and continue to make sure your working practices don't trump your contract and continue to gather evidence it doesn't etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            But it doesn't mean you can forget all about IR35 like a tick box contractor. You have to understand it and continue to make sure your working practices don't trump your contract and continue to gather evidence it doesn't etc etc.
            It doesn't mean a lot of things. The OP may or may not choose to educate themselves about IR35 more generally, but the answer to "what is the IR35 effect on going direct with no agency in the middle?" is the one that fidot provides.

Comment

It doesn't mean a lot of things. The OP may or may not choose to educate themselves about IR35 more generally, but the answer to "what is the IR35 effect on going direct with no agency in the middle?" is the one that fidot provides.
              Indeed but the OPs last question really starts the alarm bells ringing if some of the point and earlier didn't. Wasn't really a response to you more a comment to the OP using your point.

Comment

Indeed but the OPs last question really starts the alarm bells ringing if some of the point and earlier didn't. Wasn't really a response to you more a comment to the OP using your point.
                TBH, I've stopped being astonished. OTOH, it is a professional forum, and we were all n00bs once. I'd reserve the handbags for seasoned contractors... OP, you're not a seasoned contractor, right?

Comment

TBH, I've stopped being astonished. OTOH, it is a professional forum, and we were all n00bs once. I'd reserve the handbags for seasoned contractors... OP, you're not a seasoned contractor, right?

Where have the handbags come out? My responses to the OP?

Comment

Where have the handbags come out? My responses to the OP?
                    No, just preparing, in case the OP has been doing this for a while If so, they should have a better handle of IR35 by now.

Comment

Working...
                    X