• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who's in the Wrong?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's in the Wrong?

Ok, so this morning I'm cycling in down the inside of a queue of slow moving traffic.

Car about 3 slots ahead of me suddenly takes a left turn & I have to slam on the anchors to avoid hitting him.

It was a very close shave but if the worst had happened, who would have been at fault?

Fortunately I have enough furniture up front to afford me some protection if it came to it.

Were they signalling?
    I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
      Were they signalling?
      Couldn't see - they were in front of a large box van

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
        I blame you then. Insufficient attention to potential hazards.

We should ban you. From something.
        I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Ok, so this morning I'm cycling in down the inside of a queue of slow moving traffic.

Car about 3 slots ahead of me suddenly takes a left turn & I have to slam on the anchors to avoid hitting him.

It was a very close shave but if the worst had happened, who would have been at fault?

Fortunately I have enough furniture up front to afford me some protection if it came to it.
          There is very little guidance from the courts on this. Technically filtering on the left is not illegal, but it's not good practice as a cyclist as it leaves you open to just this kind of incident. You should be filtering on the right, essentially "overtaking" the line of traffic.

This is what Cycle Scheme have to say about it.

Filtering - Cyclescheme

Filtering on the left: undertaking

Overtake on the kerb side only if the traffic is stationary and there's no room on the right-hand side. If in doubt, wait. Good road positioning means not hugging the kerb. So don't dive into a riskily narrow roadside gap, even if it's a painted-green bike lane or another cyclist has just done so. If you're next to the kerb, you have no room to manoeuvre.

Take care when passing side roads, as the rest of the traffic may not have seen you. And keep an eye out for passengers stepping off buses or out of cars.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
            I blame you then. Insufficient attention to potential hazards.

We should ban you. From something.
            To be honest, I was kind of on autopilot as I didn't sleep last night & I was feeling the 5 glasses of Croft Original.

Comment

Then you weren't paying attention. Approaching a junction, unsighted regarding traffic in front of you. You should have slowed down in anticipation that someone might want to turn left.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

To be honest, I was kind of on autopilot as I didn't sleep last night & I was feeling the 5 glasses of Croft Original.
                5! Mrs Wembley would be proud.
                I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  There is very little guidance from the courts on this. Technically filtering on the left is not illegal, but it's not good practice as a cyclist as it leaves you open to just this kind of incident. You should be filtering on the right, essentially "overtaking" the line of traffic.

This is what Cycle Scheme have to say about it.

Filtering - Cyclescheme
                  Filter on the right when you have about 1 inch between you and the stationary traffic on your left & 1 inch between you the juggeringnaut that's heading right towards you?

Another thing I find with filtering on the right is that you can get stranded out there when the traffic suddenly starts moving & nobody will let you back across.

I'm begining to think cycling in towns is dangerous.

Comment

FTFY

I'm begining to think I'm too bloody dangerous, on my cycle, to be on the road.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X