• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British teenager dies in French Alps skiing accident

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First one I’ve read this year since the season began. No matter what they say about helmets, learning how to control yourself will always be the best protection.

Poor lad - not even begun in life.

British teenager dies in French Alps skiing accident - BBC News

The Meribel resortJEAN-PIERRE CLATOT
    The Meribel resort is where former F1 world champion Michael Schumacher suffered a brain injury in 2013
    A British teenager has died in a skiing crash while on a family holiday in the French Alps.

Louis Ross was with friends when he lost control on a slope in the Meribel resort on Wednesday, police said.

The 17-year-old was a lower-sixth form pupil at the independent Canford School in Wimborne, Dorset.

In a statement, the school said: "We are devastated by this shocking news and doing all we can to support the family during this time."

"The thoughts and prayers of the entire Canford community are with them."

The resort is the same one where former F1 world champion Michael Schumacher suffered a brain injury in 2013.

French police said Louis lost his balance and crashed into the slope during the morning and, despite wearing a helmet, suffered injuries to his face.

Mountain rescuers were on the scene within 10 minutes but nothing could be done to save him.

A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokesperson said: "We are in contact with the local authorities and providing support to the family at this difficult time."
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    First one I’ve read this year since the season began. No matter what they say about helmets, learning how to control yourself will always be the best protection.

Poor lad - not even begun in life.

British teenager dies in French Alps skiing accident - BBC News
    Skiing is bloody dangerous! Not sure man is meant to slid down mountains.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      Skiing is bloody dangerous! Not sure man is meant to slid down mountains.
      How else would you get down a steep hill or mountain when it's icy or snowing?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        How else would you get down a steep hill or mountain when it's icy or snowing?
        By helicopter. HTH
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

You mean there's snow?!?

Probably hit a rock under the 10cm dusting they were skiing on.

Sad, the lad might have got away with it in another year.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Only hintertuxer gletscher is good at the moment, which is a 2 hour trek from München. Usually I'd not have to travel more than 50 minutes at this time of year. Very very mild the now, 13 degrees at the minute.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              You mean there's snow?!?

Probably hit a rock under the 10cm dusting they were skiing on.

Sad, the lad might have got away with it in another year.

Hit a stone once before on poor conditions. Did a complete right angle in an instant. You need thighs like steel to control such sudden movements.

Comment

Helmet protects you at low speeds - like Natasha Richardsons. At high speeds it's only useful for helping to keep the bits of your head in one place for the convenience of the cleanup crew.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

..and it doesn't protect you at all if you hit that rock face first.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                  X