• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quarterly tax returns - petition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quarterly tax returns - petition

As is the way with these things, someone has created a petition about the proposal for quarterly returns.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/115895

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...Accessible.pdf

1.288 (p71)
    the Spending Review and Autumn Statement announces that the government will: ...
    • by 2020, require most businesses, self-employed people and landlords to keep track of their tax affairs digitally and update HMRC at least quarterly via their digital tax account. HMRC will ensure the availability of free apps and software that link securely to HMRC systems and provide support to those who need help using digital technology. This will not apply to individuals in employment or pensioners, unless they have secondary incomes of more than £10,000 per year from self-employment or property. The government will consult on the details in 2016
    Last edited by mudskipper; 18 December 2015, 09:17.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    As is the way with these things, someone has created a petition about the proposal for quarterly returns.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/115895

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...Accessible.pdf

1.288 (p71)
    the Spending Review and Autumn Statement announces that the government will: ...
    • ]by 2020, require most businesses, self-employed people and landlords to keep track of their tax affairs digitally and update HMRC at least quarterly via their digital tax account. HMRC will ensure the availability of free apps and software that link securely to HMRC systems and provide support to those who need help using digital technology. This will not apply to individuals in employment or pensioners, unless they have secondary incomes of more than £10,000 per year from self-employment or property. The government will consult on the details in 2016
    Not one to put my head above the parapet, but with RTI, Quarterly billing for VAT and PAYE this does not seem much of an additional overhead, although I assume that quarterly updates will also me money being paid quarterly which is the driver for Hector to get a steady flow if income rather than a big hit once a year
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Not one to put my head above the parapet, but with RTI, Quarterly billing for VAT and PAYE this does not seem much of an additional overhead, although I assume that quarterly updates will also me money being paid quarterly which is the driver for Hector to get a steady flow if income rather than a big hit once a year
      Go long on accountancy firms
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Go long on accountancy firms
        That was my second thought, anyone who has an accountant I assume would get them to do their return for them, price may go up for the service, but as you are paying for convenience as much as subject matter expertise maybe it will push more people down the route of controlling their accounts themselves

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

That was my second thought, anyone who has an accountant I assume would get them to do their return for them, price may go up for the service, but as you are paying for convenience as much as subject matter expertise maybe it will push more people down the route of controlling their accounts themselves
          I can see why they're doing it. It's like with companies and invoices, longer pay terms mean longer to get your money. But's it's a faff.

I've been on to the petition site, but decided to sign the Free Beer on Friday & 50p Price Cap on Northern Prostitutes petitions instead.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Yes and incrementally it'll get worse and worse if you don't draw the line at some point. Just because you're already experiencing hassle in providing info does not mean it should get even worse, particularly under a 'business friendly' govt.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
              Yes and incrementally it'll get worse and worse if you don't draw the line at some point. Just because you're already experiencing hassle in providing info does not mean it should get even worse, particularly under a 'business friendly' govt.
              Well that is the thing, its not really a hassle to do quarterly VAT and PAYE (especially for those who get their accountant to do it )

I would be interested to see if any of the accountants on the forum have an opinion on this, will it be more work for them? Will they put the prices up to compensate? If so it then doesn't become a hassle issues, its a financial decision

Comment

Well that is the thing, its not really a hassle to do quarterly VAT and PAYE (especially for those who get their accountant to do it )

I would be interested to see if any of the accountants on the forum have an opinion on this, will it be more work for them? Will they put the prices up to compensate? If so it then doesn't become a hassle issues, its a financial decision
                For those with automated systems (crunch say) it will be painless. For others probably a lot more work and an excuse to get automated.

Going back to the original point the issues are:-

1) the guinea pigs about to be subjected to the system (if its anything like the new CT600 forms )...
                2) quarterly forms aren't a hassle if you are used to them and have systems already in place, if you don't its going to be a big change.
                3) when money is paid hasn't been specified yet. You would guess the purpose is for HMRC to get money in earlier but that isn't explicitly stated and its clear HMRC have forgotten that many companies have 9 unprofitable months followed by 2-3 profitable months that pay for the entire year.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  For those with automated systems (crunch say) it will be painless. For others probably a lot more work and an excuse to get automated.

Going back to the original point the issues are:-

1) the guinea pigs about to be subjected to the system (if its anything like the new CT600 forms )...
                  2) quarterly forms aren't a hassle if you are used to them and have systems already in place, if you don't its going to be a big change.
                  3) when money is paid hasn't been specified yet. You would guess the purpose is for HMRC to get money in earlier but that isn't explicitly stated and its clear HMRC have forgotten that many companies have 9 unprofitable months followed by 2-3 profitable months that pay for the entire year.
                  The last point is moot as this seems to be personal tax returns, so they assume its steady throughout the year

Comment

The last point is moot as this seems to be personal tax returns, so they assume its steady throughout the year
                    I took it to be business returns - i.e. corp tax.

Comment

Working...
                    X